Friday, May 30, 2008

Don't get into a pissing contest with a 4 year old unless you like to lose

We went to the playground last night and were soon joined by a 4 year old and her 2 year old sister. This little girl is just over a year older than Bohdin since she will be 5 in October. One thing led to another and soon Bohdin was asking if she could do various things. It started with a jumping contest and then a race. Bohdin is a pretty fast runner but she had a head start. I don't know who would have won in a fair race because Bohdin became pouty when she won and refused to try again. Soon he tried other things to see if she could do it also. Can she jump up onto this log? Can she swing from these bars? Can she go down the slide like this? Being 4 she could easily do all of the things he could and do them better. I couldn't lie so I told him that her jumps were a little higher and she could run a little faster. It must have been a huge ego check since at dinner he announced he could run faster than Uncle Paul and that he could run really run faster than anybody.

I wasn't surprised that he was beat out in all categories by a 4 year old. The biggest surprise to me was the emotional maturity of a 4 year old. Bohdin acted like a 3 year old boy. I had a friend who once said that a 3 year old is still a baby and last night I finally believed her.

On another topic, the comment section has been fixed so it is easier to leave comments. I thought I wouldn't care if I received comments but it turns out I like it very much.

5 comments:

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Wow, having to deal with the fragile male ego at quite an early age; looks like somebody inherited their daddy's competitive edge, huh?

Cap'n Neurotic said...

Oh, and I'm with you on the comments thing; I think I was much more inclined to blog regularly when I got more comments from more people; nowadays I pretty much only get feedback from you and PigPen (and Zinger, but only in a "stop being such a lazy bastage and actually write something" sort of way), which makes it feel like I'm writing for an audience of two or three, which saps my will to write.

Well, that and the fact that Zinger is right and I am a lazy bastage.

P said...

Tell Bohdin the race is on. His uncle Paul has accepted his challenge. We can have a mini-triathalon.

race, log jump and then a popsicle eating contest.

Anonymous said...

To make it fair, Paul and Bohdin both should be wearing diapers, really. I'm sure it's hard to run in those things.

Helen said...

Bohdin has been out of diapers for over a year now. The last time you saw him Greg he was 9 months old I think.

When I asked him this morning if he could run faster than anybody he said yes. When I asked him if he could run faster than the girl at the playground he said he didn't want to run with her.

He also said he doesn't want to race you Paul but thinks he can beat you in a jumping contest if he wears special jumping shoes with a red and green button.