Last week we had our first snow. It wasn't much but the kids were still excited. Buddy took them out to play at the playground.
We've been slowly settling in. The unpacking isn't done and I'm under a time crunch becasue we will be moving again really soon and also we can have company at any time. Normally somebody comes by several days per week. It's almost always for Nyla. I also need to have the house clean enough for company always which keeps me pretty busy. In the past week we have made good progress on the organizing. When we unpacked we just threw stuff anywhere and now I have to sort through it all and organize it.
I went to Bohdin's Valentines Party which was chaotic. Cora and I also stopped into Nyla's classroom. Nyla took Cora by the hand and showed her around and introduced her to several friends. Cora joined the kids at circle time while I helped prep for her party. In Bohdin's classroom she just quietly played. She was very well behaved especially in contrast to the other little kid who kept trying to escape at every opportunity.
Bohdin is settling into school and Bohdin says he cries less frequently. He doesn't want me to pull him out of school although I think about it often. I stronly disagree with the testing at the school.
Last Friday Bohdin came home with his math test. He missed two questions.
1. Mark was at the fair. He wanted to ride the Ferris wheel. He paid 3 dimes and 2 nickels to ride. How much did it cost to ride the Ferris wheel?
Bohdin's answer was 40 cents which was correct.3. Finally, Mark decided to ride the roller coaster. He spent 3 quarters, 1 dime, and 4 pennies on the roller coaster. How much did he spend?
Bohdin's answer was 89 cents + $1.05 = $1.94 Again it was marked wrong because the answer is 89 cents
I sent the test back on Monday but the teacher held firm that Bohdin was wrong because she wasn't looking for a running total. I think the question was ambiguous and either way Bohdin demonstrated that he could do the math. This is not an isolated example unfortunately. I might be okay with the type of grading but the teacher never goes over the wrong answers. Bohdin had no idea why it was wrong. I've also been disappointed by the grading on Bohdin's spelling tests. I told the teacher that he was letter reversals and when he misspelled blind as dlind it was marked wrong. At this age I expect a little more grace. Nyla's teacher on the other hand is wonderful. The kindergarten classrooms are run better.
In addition to having people over a lot we have been going places. The neighborhood hosted a chili cookoff which I attended with the kids. The next evening we went to dinner with an old friend of Buddy. Nyla was disappointed they only had boys.
Nyla made a party for Cora last week complete with cake and presents. She set the table nicely and was disappointed that more people didn't attend. I sang Happy Birthday before leaving but Bohdin and Buddy didn't attend at all. I didn't have any of the sand cake.
We went to the library the other night and Nyla fell asleep just before we arrived home. She woke up as I carried her in but I thought she might go back to sleep. I laid her in the bed and did a few things before laying down with her. She was still awake and couldn't go back to sleep. A few minutes later she said she was hungry. I told her to go to the kitchen and get a snack. She was sad and started whimpering. When I asked her what was wrong she told me that she would miss her beautiful mommy. I assured her everything would be okay and I would wait for her return. She then told me she would keep me in her heart.
Cora was lonely when we first moved her but she has adjusted. She normally plays in the morning for an hour while I clean. If the weather is nice we go to the playground where there is usually another little kid. One day we joined three two year olds at the skate park where they slid down the ramps. On cold days we might run an errand in the morning or go to story time at the library. The afternoon is taken up by a nap. Once Bohdin and Nyla come home the house is chaotic with homework, snacks, and friends.

2 comments:
Wonderful pictures. The family sounds busy and adjusting well to your new surroundings. As long as Bohdin knows how to do the math, he shouldn't let a stick in the mud teacher hold him back! Maybe he could ask a question if the believes the test quesiton to be unclear? I'm happy to hear everyone is making the best of your new home!
I'm so sorry he's not having a great time at school. The test stinks too--though it also highlights the larger problem with all the standardized tests kids are forced to take thanks to No Child Left Behind and everything that's followed since. The teacher should be explaining that rather than ignoring it though. How many kids are in his class?
Post a Comment