Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Mother's Day



Nyla's science fair project


Bohdin's science fair project











Bohdin made it off the wait list for swim lessons so he started last week on Monday and Wednesday which are the same two days that Nyla has things.  Nyla likes that she has Tuesdays and Thursdays free and spent it playing at the playground with C- while her brother had a baseball game nearby.  On Thursday Nyla, Cora, C-, and some other girl were playing fairies with Cora being the bad fairy chasing them all over the playground.  They seemed to have a lot of fun.  Nyla has been playing with C- pretty frequently.  I'm sure we'll see her again tonight. They play together for hours on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  Once the game is over the dad grills in the backyard and the kids play back there until it is time to get ready for bed.

Bohdin's new swim teacher is the standard sort of swim teacher who has one kid swim while the rest wait around.  I miss his old teacher because every kid was swimming or practicing diving all at the same time.  I hope we're lucky enough to get her this summer.  Bohdin progressed a lot last month and is nowhere near the worst kid in his new class.  He is actually among the best.  He spends a lot of time goofing off in class along with the rest of the kids.  One kid showed him how to sit underwater and now Bohdin likes to sit underwater as well.  It's hard to believe that at the beginning of April he wouldn't put his head in the water. 

One of Bohdin's classmates was involved in the local theater production so Bohdin wanted to go.  The theater is a very short walk so I took him while Nyla and Cora stayed home to play in the backyard with C-.  The kids did Suessical the Musical which was a very ambitious project.  They worked really hard.  Unfortunately most of them can't sing well so it dragged a bit towards the middle.  The kid who played Horton was pretty good but he is still little and his voice doesn't project well.  The kid who played Gertrude was really good and saved the show.  She was probably around 11.  I think there was only one child who may have been a high schooler.  The rest appeared to be about sixth grade and under.  Bohdin said he loved it even though he was very restless throughout a lot of it. 




We spent Saturday tending the garden.  We put up a 7 foot thin plastic fence around it in hopes of keeping out the deer.  Deer can jump that but we are the only ones with such a tall fence so we hope they go for easier pickings.  It's looking pretty good so far except for the summer crops which haven't sprouted yet.  It's been a cold spring so the ground may not be warm enough yet for tomatoes and squash.  We ran into Mo- and her family at the garden.  Ma- came home with us to play with Bohdin but it wasn't long before Mo- and her little brother came also.  I wish Mo- behaved better.  I like having her brothers over but not her. 

One thing the kids learned in public school was Mother's Day.  They seemed to really push the holiday on the kids so the kids really wanted to celebrate.  They talked about it for days prior.  They each made a present in school and on Sunday Nyla wanted to throw me a party.  The kids helped make mashed potatoes and cake.  It was the best Mother's Day I've had because of their efforts and  their push to make Buddy do something.  I didn't clean the kitchen once that day nor prepare a meal.  I spent a lot of time working on Nyla's Easter dress so she can wear it for her kindergarten graduation.  I also made Nyla a nightgown and finished Cora's orange dress. 



Nyla playing and singing my Mother's Day song.








I forgot to take pictures of my cards and clay bird that Bohdin made.  The clay bird has to go back to school to be fixed because its tail fell off on the way home.  Nyla forgot her card at school on Friday and gave it to me yesterday. 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great pictures. The kids so wonderful. Glad you had a kitchen-free Mother's Day!