Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Lots of Friends

Last Tuesday we went to a playgroup put together for girls Nyla's age.  Nyla didn't really interact with any of the girls because she was feeling shy.  She spent her time playing with Cora.  Bohdin was followed around for a while by several of the girls but he finally escaped them.  I knew it might take some time to get acquainted. 

On Thursday we saw one of the same families again.  Nyla played with the nine year old girl and a six year old girl for quite some time.  When she said goodbye the nine year old turned to her and asked if she was homeschooled.  I said yes and pointed out that they had met each other two days ago.  They both squealed in delight that they would be seeing more of each other.  Once we came home the neighbor kids came by and played here until I sent them home at 8.  They must not have a curfew.  The school bus comes early for them so I was surprised that they didn't have to get ready for bed. 

On Friday we went to another playgroup.  The nine year old was there again along with a new six year old girl.  Bohdin was so bored.  He didn't want to explore the creek anymore because he had already been scratched.  There were lots of kids there but he didn't want to play with any of them.  Nyla was having such a good time that I told Bohdin I couldn't stop it just because he was ready to go home.  He agreed with me and went to the car and listened an audio book for at least an hour. 

Monday we went to the writer's workshop.  I think Bohdin has a better time than Nyla.  One of Nyla's friends was there but they didn't get a chance to talk.  A lot of kids attend and the room is probably too small.  Bohdin shared a piece about lithium he wrote and Nyla shared a piece about giraffes along with a giraffe picture.  In addition to sharing writing there is also a fun writing exercise each time.  This time the kids had to write two truths and one lie.  Nyla's lie was that she could turn into a fairy.  Her truths were that she loves deer and dark curtains.  Bohdin decided to do a logic puzzle with his that nobody could figure out.  It was a variation of #3 is a lie, #2 is true. 

Yesterday we went to a grocery store to tour the bakery.  It was set up by the same mom that started the girl playgroup so Nyla knew some of the kids that attended.  Bohdin enjoys tours and he is always the one as close to the speaker as possible.  He was the only kid to ask questions.  All of the kids decorated a cupcake which was sort of fun.  Cora was tired and a little short so I had to hold her the whole time.  We'll all get together next week here at my house.  I hope it's not rainy so they can go outside. 

While Nyla has found friends easily and Cora has a lead on a few, Bohdin has had no success.  There are probably a few kids who attend writer's workshop that have potential but there isn't a ton of time to socialize.  Playgroups haven't worked out either.  So next week I'm hosting the first meeting of a math club.  I don't have a great desire to run one but I think it may be good for Bohdin.  It would give him a chance to meet like minded kids in a smaller setting.  I also think he would enjoy math competitions so if this works out I will be a team leader for a competitive math team next year.  Georgia is one of the few states that don't allow homeschoolers to do anything with public school kids so joining an after school team at the local elementary school is not allowed.  It's actually too bad since this county has a very strong Science Olympiad program that I think Bohdin would enjoy.    Running a Science Olympiad team would be way more difficult than a Math Olympiad team so math it is for now at least. 

No comments: