Cora's coloring
Cora drew a picture of her and Nyla
This week was spring break for the kids. Buddy didn't have any time off and he actually said it was his busiest week so far so we hardly saw him. On Monday, we went into Kansas City. Our first stop was to get Nyla some new socks. I found her a few pairs of low seam socks. She hasn't had any problems with socks or shoes this week but I realized she only has issues when it is time for school. She never complains about them when it is time to go to the playground or the store. I've had a week free of the issue. I expect it will start again tomorrow.
After buying socks we went to Oklahoma Joe's for barbecue. The line was out the door and it took us a good 30 minutes to make our way to the counter to order. I thought the barbecue was really good and I would come back. Buddy wasn't overly impressed with the leftovers I brought him. We then went to Costco before returning home. We only had a few minutes at home before attending a princess party put on by an author at the local bookstore. The princess party wasn't that great but we tried it.
Tuesday we went to the Moon Marble Company to watch a demonstration of hand made marble making. Cora was completely noninterested and played with a dog bank they had on display. Nyla was somewhat bored but Bohdin and I enjoyed it. The store was a lot bigger than I had expected with lots of toys. The kids enjoyed looking around and playing with the display toys. Apparently a lot of kids are on spring break right now because that place was packed. The kids wanted to get some marbles but we left without any.
I couldn't get the kids out of the house on Wednesday because they were having too much fun playing together. Nyla did take a break from her siblings and played with C- and Mo- at Mo-'s house. On Thursday Mo- spent a lot of time with us. She is such a bad influence. Nyla picks up a lot of bad behaviors from her including lying and destroying property. I spent Friday enrolling the kids in after school activities so we would be too busy to see Mo-. Nyla will be taking swimming lessons twice per week along with gymnastics and dance once per week. Bohdin will do swimming and Crossfit. I gave him a choice of hip hip and Crossfit which are both well outside of his comfort zone. He said he doesn't need to learn how to dance because he is going to be a scientist when he grows up. He chose Crossfit. I was having second thoughts of him doing it because he has weak core and upper body strength. He is going to have a tough time. I told him it was going to be tough and he told me that at the very least he would learn determination. I'm impressed. It's only for four weeks so he ought to survive. He's been trying to learn how to jump rope the past few days and it hasn't been easy.
Spring break has been quite cold so we haven't really spent much time outside. I don't think we ever made it above the mid40s and most of the week was overcast. The kids are supposed to wake up this morning to at least six inches of snow but right now there is only a dusting and it's not snowing anymore. Hopefully it starts up again. I would like to enjoy a day of sledding.
Yesterday we went to the natural history museum on the KU campus in Lawrence. It's a fine little museum. We didn't get to see it all because Nyla became overwhelmingly hungry. Buddy and I both enjoyed seeing the diorama of the Least Weasal which is the smallest carnivore in the world. Bohdin liked the duck billed platypus and the badger. We made it through the insect, evolution, and diorama areas. We missed out on the fossils and minerals.
We went from the museum to lunch at a local bakery that served good sandwiches. Nyla complained about her foccacia with cream cheese at first but ended up eating it. It's a chewy bread and she doesn't have good chewing teeth right now. She lost another tooth this week. The tooth came out Tuesday night. I quickly sewed a pouch for her tooth and she wrapped it in a tissue and put it in there. She didn't want the tooth fairy to come yet because she needed to show it to her friends first. The tooth fairy honored her wishes and her tooth was still there in the morning. In the morning she pretended the tooth was a princess or something and was doing various play with it. The tooth went to Mo-'s house and never came home. Nyla took it out at the playground so it is gone forever. She was really sad. The tooth fairy doesn't visit our house when the child misplaces the tooth. I wish that wasn't the way it worked. I had no idea my kids would misplace so many teeth.
Anyway after lunch at the bakery we headed back toward home. Cora didn't seem very tired yet so we stopped at the marble place again since we were so close to it. Buddy and Bohdin watched the demonstration while I kept Nyla and Cora in the rest of the store. It was a much longer demonstration than we had been to on Tuesday. Cora was getting tired and it seemed the demo would never end. Eventually it did and we ate almost an entire loaf of bread on the way back home. I think Cora had four pieces.
Bohdin doesn't miss school at all. Nyla wants to go back so she can see her friends again. They have one more day left and if the snow cooperates we will be outside playing.

1 comment:
The kids look fantastic; and you guys are staying so very busy! Great Spring Break.
Post a Comment