Monday, June 11, 2012

Swim Lessons

Friday was the annual homeschool fair.  It's hard to believe that it was our third one.   We've lived here longer than anywhere else in many years.  I warned the kids that it would be a little boring for them while I browsed the books but they would be able to go play afterward.  It didn't make a difference and Bohdin started complaining soon after we arrived.  The event is held at a park right next to the playground.  There are tons of kids running around.  I decided that if they stayed together they could go to the playground.  Cora of course had to stay with me but Bohdin and Nyla were glad to run off.  It was nice to look around without them.  Soon after they left I found a person selling a lot of Playmobil stuff.  I found Bohdin and Nyla and brought them back to look at it.  The stuff was selling for really low prices.  I later realized part of that reason is because everything was incomplete.  It was still a good deal.  We spent a lot of time at the booth and came home with way more Playmobil than we needed.  Nyla is very happy with her carry along house which came with some random people and furniture.  Bohdin loves his two new Viking ships and post office.  We bought the two Viking ships with various accessories for $5 or $10.  That's a bargain.  They are missing oars and probably some other stuff but we can order that if needed.  Afterward, Bohdin and Nyla went back to the playground while I looked around.  When I went to the playground I couldn't find them.  I hoped they didn't wander back off toward the sale because they would have been difficult to find.  That's why I told them they needed to stay in the play area.  A minute later they walked up with the guy from the Playmobil booth.  Bodhin had become concerned that I was taking so long (I swear I wasn't) and went there for help. We left soon afterward. 

We hardly saw Bohdin and Nyla on Saturday.  They played and played with their new toys.  Now on Monday the bloom is gone.  They did play with them but I didn't have to drag them away to eat.  Nyla still likes the house and has it set up nicely.  She worries that Cora will ruin it and rightfully so.  She has already done it once.  Bohdin has set up an elaborate boat scene.  I don't remember who was attacking who.   They don't like to play Playmobil when Cora is awake because she ruins their scenes.  When she wakes up and I bring her downstairs Nyla comes running with her arms waving telling me not to let Cora in the basement. 

I just remembered a funny thing that happened last week.  Nyla, Cora, and I were at the kitchen table.  I was reading a book to Nyla who was sitting next to me.  Cora was across from us.  The first line of the book was "Mom, there is a ghost in the house!"  I read with as much expression as I can muster and it was enough that day to scare Cora.  She looked over she shoulder in alarm then came running to me.  Bohdin heard me reading and came over to listen as well.  The next page of the story has the kids telling their mom what they heard to make them think there was a ghost in the house.  The kids in the story had heard a scraping sound.  At that moment, Bohdin decided to drag the cooler over to the table so he could sit on it and see the book while I read.  The cooler made a scraping sound as it slid across the tile.  Once again Cora was startled.  The rest of the book was uneventful and there was no ghost only a squirrel so it ended well. 

The kids started swim lesson today.  I didn't anticipate that it would take so long to set them up.  They will be going twice per week for the next three weeks.  I set up semi private so I wouldn't have to drive so often and I thought it would be better for Bohdin.  My concern for Bohdin was unnecessary. He did great.  We've noticed how comfortable he has been in water recently so we put him in at the right time.  He's come a long way from the two year old who was scared of going in the pool at times.  He could be swimming soon.  Nyla did fine as well.  She was scared at times which hindered her.  We have to go back tomorrow.  Today Cora and I just walked around the pool endlessly but tomorrow I might bring a bathing suit and get her in.  I wish I could drop her off at the child care and go exercise but she isn't ready for that yet.  Bohdin was the same way at her age and now I can hardly keep him around in public.  At the grocery store tonight he kept asking permission to go to different parts of the store. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Swim lessons . . . oh boy. Love to swim and I bet the kids will, too. Good job, Helen.