Friday, January 31, 2014
Snow
I was listening to the radio Monday afternoon and they predicted snow for the next day in the area south of Atlanta. I told the kids they were lucky that we lived in the path of the storm and not to the north. That night before bed I checked the forecast and the Weather Channel predicted the snow would begin at 10am the next morning. Nyla was super excited.
In the morning I checked the forecast again. Now rain was predicted to begin at 10 but it would change over to snow about 4pm. Nyla was disappointed. Just after 10 the first snowflake fell. Buddy called soon afterward and said he was being sent home. I thought that was crazy but who doesn't like getting off work early. He stopped at Costco first and arrived home before noon. He immediately went back out to the library to get a book he wanted. By the time he came home he said the roads were getting bad. The snow was falling pretty fast and it was accumulating.
Nyla was the most excited. She went out for quite some time. Bohdin went out for a few minutes. Cora stayed inside. She told me that she doesn't like the snow very much. We watched the news in the afternoon and the tv reports were crazy. Traffic was horribly snarled. It was a good thing that Buddy came home when he did. Commute times skyrocketed. People were in their cars for 8+ hours. They slept in grocery stores, Home Depot, and in their car. I never would have predicted anything like it even after telling the kids in the morning that Atlanta doesn't have the equipment to deal with snow. We weren't impacted negatively at all but lots of people were. The base was closed for two days so Buddy didn't have to go back to work until Friday.
Nyla had been dying to go the playground when the snow was falling but we waited until the next morning. Nyla didn't last long because she got snow in her glove and went home crying. Bohdin stayed a bit longer and had me take pictures of him flying off the slides. In the afternoon Nyla and Bohdin went with a neighbor girl for a wild ride on a golf cart. They came home frozen but had a great time. Bohdin said "It was GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!" Nyla would say the same thing but with even more exclamation points. (Bohdin is watching me type and made me put all of the exclamation points in. And now he's giggling.)
The snow was melting fast by Thursday and Bohdin and Nyla went outside again. What they really wanted to do was go on another golf cart ride. Instead the neighborhood kids came by and they all built a snowman named Olaf. I kicked Cora out of the house and she had more fun than she expected. She was the last one in.
I bought a new bluetooth speaker for listening to audiobooks. It's become easier to use my phone at times to listen to them. Today they were listening to music and decided to have a dance show. Nyla said it felt good to get the dance out. In the afternoon they went back to the sand pile to continue work on the sand cake. I don't think it was quite warm enough to be barefoot but Cora disagreed. She even walked in the snow that is still in the backyard to prove her point.
Bohdin and I went for a walk in the evening and he noticed that wherever we move gets a lot of snow. We had 2.5 inches on Tuesday which is a lot for this area. The average annual snowfall is around 2.1 inches. The record is 9.3 inches. Two inches completely paralyzed the area. I can't imagine what 9 inches would do. Last year in Kansas they had record snowfall. Bohdin experienced a top 5 snow event in Colorado. Our first winter in Kentucky was colder and snowier than usual.
1 comment:
give our best regards to olaf, if he's still in the neighborhood. sure happy you were not negatively impacted by the snow event.
now, I think I'll follow Nyla's example and "go let the dance out". I'm betting I'll feel better afterward.
Post a Comment