Tuesday, April 1, 2014

First Swim


The kids have been asking to go to the pool for weeks.  I told them it was too cold but today I told them they could dip their feet in.  They heard get all the way in so they put on their swimsuits.  It was a hot walk over to the pool.  The temperature was in the mid 80s.  Before getting in the pool we had a late lunch but the kids were so impatient they only took a few bites before wanting to get in the pool.  The water was cold since it's an unheated pool.  That didn't stop them.  Bohdin tried getting in slowly but I told him to just get it over with.  He did and thanked me for the advice.  He was glad to be back in the pool and swam back and forth for a while.  Nyla was getting in much slower but finally took the big plunge.  Cora wasn't allowed to get in the pool since I wasn't getting in the pool.  Bohdin continued swimming laps while Nyla tried swimming along the edge of the pool.  Both kids have regressed with their swimming.  Bohdin moved on to playing around a bit more in the water since Nyla was playing on the submerged bench.  Cora alternated sitting on the edge with me and walking around the pool.  She would have liked to get in further and maybe next time I'll bring her bathing suit so she can go to the second step.  The shallowest portion of the pool is 3.5 feet so she can't do much more than that. 


 The kids didn't pack towels so they warmed up on the loungers.  As soon as they stole the heat from one they moved on to the next.  We stuck around for a while so the kids could finish eating.  By the time they were done with that they wanted to get back in the pool again.  I gave them an additional 10 minutes.  Nyla was shivering on the walk home.  Cora complained bitterly about how hot it was.  I'm glad our neighborhood pool is open year round.  Some pools around here don't open until Memorial Day.  That seems excessively late to me for this climate.

Saturday was the grand finale of the Atlanta Science Festival.  I took just Bohdin to the event.  Nyla may have enjoyed it but Cora would have hated it.  Because of rain they had to hold the event inside.  It was loud and crowded.  Bohdin enjoyed it but we had to leave early because he couldn't take the loud noise anymore.  We did less than half of the booths.  By the time we left the lines to get into each individual booth were crazy long.  I don't know if we'll do it again next year. 



On Monday we went geocaching with a group of homeschoolers.  None of us had ever done it before but we did still manage to find the two boxes in the area.  It was a hot day and all of the kids were wilting by the time we were done.  We stopped at the store for juice to make popsicles.  It's popsicle season again.  



Cora refuses to get ready for bed until I get out of this chair so that's it for now. 

No comments: