Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Stone Mountain


Whenever we drop Buddy off at the airport we do something in Atlanta.  Yesterday we hiked to the top of Stone Mountain.  There is a one mile walk up trail to the top.  It was pretty busy for a Monday morning.  I can't imagine what it must look like on  a weekend.  I took pictures when there weren't people around but in reality there was almost always somebody around, especially near the top.  I forgot the grab the carrier but it worked out well since Cora did the entire thing without once being asked to be carried.  As we neared the top which is quite steep she did complain about being tired but she pushed through.  We spent just a few minutes at the top before going back down again.  Bohdin and Nyla were way ahead of us.  Cora was slow on the way down since she had to step off of rocks that were half her height.  Bohdin and Nyla with their longer legs could traverse the stones much easier.  It was a lot of fun and I think everybody wants to do it again.  It felt to me like a rite of passage.  There were so many people there and it felt kind of like an accomplishment to get to the top.  It's something that all people of Atlanta ought to do at least once. 

Bohdin says he liked going down the part with the railings because when he puts his arm on the side and then going down kind of fast with his arm still on it.  When we were going up I assumed those guide rails were to help people ascend but on the way down I realized it was for coming down.  It was really steep and the rock was pretty smooth.  That rail was there to help one from slipping down.  I saw one person fall on a different section.  Nyla fell once and so did Cora. 





Nyla says:  I loved it except for when I fell in water.  I hated going up but it was super fun coming down.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We've been climbing a lot of stone steps of late, too!

Great blogs; kids are looking super.