Thursday, February 2, 2012

Dentist

Our lives are consumed by dentist visits right now.  Today is Wednesday and we've already made four visits to the dentist this week.  Twice on Tuesday, and twice today.  I had a failed root canal today and needed to get the temporary crowns put back on.  I had warned the endodontist that I'm tough to numb.  After an hour of trying he was ready to give up for today.  Cora did play a big part in that.  I had taken over a cancelled appointment but it fell during Cora's nap time.  Nyla tried hard to keep her happy and occupied but eventually she just wanted me.  I nursed for a bit while they continued to try to numb me but I think he found it awkward.  I'll have to try again without Cora.  Next time they will try to numb my nerve directly instead of near it which he said would be painful.  The other numbing options include drilling into my bone to deliver the anesthetic which is also painful or general anesthesia.  I'm not liking my options. When I left the endodontist I had to take pain medication because all of that prodding made my tooth hurt.  I left with my entire lower left side of my mouth numb with the exception of my teeth.  My general dentist called tonight to apologize and discuss things with me.  He's a really nice guy.  There have been times through this ordeal when I've been mad at him but it's not his fault.  I appreciate that he is expressing concern.

Cora fell asleep on the way back home but was wet when we arrived because she had spilled water on herself in the car.  She woke up and I quickly just stripped her naked because her diaper was wet as well.  When she woke up she wanted to nurse but I was more concerned that she would now need to pee.  I asked her if I could put a diaper on her and she said "uh uh".  I then asked her if she was going to pee in my bed.  She nodded yes.  I told her not to pee in my bed but a minute later she said "uh oh".  I should have insisted on the diaper. 

Cora sort of has some new words.  Nyla has named every baby doll in the house goo goo because that is what babies are supposed to say.  I'm sure I've heard Cora say "goo" a few times.  This evening when Nyla accidentally hit her Cora said "ow".  I think Nyla likes having another girl in the house because they play babies a lot.  Not a day goes by when they aren't pushing at least one baby around the house in the baby stroller.  They almost seem to be racing each other to see who can push the baby around the loop the fastest. 

Speaking of racing, Cora has developed the habit or running around the kitchen island.  Several times a day she just starts running laps around it for a few minutes.  She's becoming a good runner.

Bohdin and Nyla were both sick this weekend but Bohdin had it much worse.  Cora and Bohdin still have some residual coughing and mucus but Nyla is completely fine and has been for days.  Cora was really grumpy yesterday and we thought about having her ears checked out today by the doctor but she woke up in good spirits this morning and hasn't seemed in pain at all today. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you get past your dental problems real soon. I feel your pain!

Helen said...

Thank you.