We just returned from an eleven day trip to Texas. Four of those days were travel days. The original plan was to leave Thursday night but Buddy had too much work and couldn't make it home in time. So we left Friday morning instead. Cora was a big concern but she did really well the entire way there except for the last hour or so. Everybody was done by the last hour though.
We made several hour long stops along the way to stretch our legs. The first was at Dunbar Cave which had a small museum nearby.
The next stop was Memphis. Buddy googled playgrounds in Memphis and was able to find a really amazing one. It's the best playground I've ever been to. It was really innovative and lots of fun. One of the most popular features was the large slide. When we arrived there were groups of kids going down any way they could. Some ran down, some used towels, some kept it traditional. The slide empties into a bowl of sorts. There is a ramp on one side and the rest is just the rubber material that has to climbed to get back to the top. There were two slides and the bigger one was really fast. Cora loved it.
We spent the night at the halfway point ten hours after leaving. I thought it was ten hours but maybe it was more. The time zone switch can be confusing because the car clock will be wrong but the cell phone will be correct so sometimes I add or subtract an hour without thinking. I did that several times during the trip.
The next morning we headed out early. Cora was continuing to do well in the car. As we were driving south of Little Rock Buddy and I played the alphabet game to see who would drive next. I won so I took the first exit I found. As I was exiting I noticed the fuel light was on. I had been paying so much attention to finding letters, I hadn't noticed we were almost out of gas. It's a good thing I found the z without too much difficulty. The exit I took was the exit for a lake. Since we were stopping for gas we decided to stop at the lake for a break. Bohdin enjoyed playing in the water. Buddy found clay in the lake and made a clay snowball. Nyla helped decorate.
We didn't make any more fun stops the rest of the way and were able to make it to Nana and Papa's house by dinnertime.

No comments:
Post a Comment