Thursday, May 3, 2012

Lucky Kids



We're trying to take advantage of the Derby Festival this year.  I had planned to take the kids to the park for Discovery Days on Monday which included a story time with the local children's theatre, a soccer clinic, and bouncy stuff.  Cora slept super late.  The latest I think she has ever slept because she didn't wake up until well after 10am.  The event started at 11 and we didn't make it there until close to 12:30.  The fact that Bohdin couldn't find his shoes didn't help matters.  Then he lost a piece of watermelon in the car and we spent time searching for that.  We missed the best stuff.  There was three bouncy things and that was pretty much it.  The carnival stuff was set up right next to it and of course Bohdin and Nyla were interested.  I didn't have much cash with me since the event was advertised as free and it was but it was right next to really enticing not free stuff.  I was one dollar short of being able to buy a bunch of tickets so Bohdin and Nyla were able to each choose one ride.  Bohdin chose the big slide and went first.  Nyla chose the carousel.  When it was her turn we found out that it was free until the Discovery Days event was over at 1:30.  Nyla was able to choose the other ride she really wanted to do as well.  In all they rode the carousel three times and had one extra ride per piece. 

There was a local elementary school there on a field trip which made the small event a bit crowded.  The lines for two of the bouncy things were too long but we had time for the bouncy slide.  Bohdin did it twice.  The first time Nyla was too scared but she joined Bohdin the second time and ended up liking it.  On each turn they were given the opportunity to go down the slide twice which was nice. 

It was kind of a lame event especially since we showed up too late for the best parts.  My favorite part was being in Waterfront Park again.  I had only been twice before and both times at night for the fireworks.  It was nice to see it during the daytime.  Bohdin and Nyla had a much better time than I did. 





Tuesday evening was the Pegasus Parade Preview Party.  For just the cost of parking which isn't particularly cheap at the Expo Center, the kids were able to see all of the floats, balloons, and horses that would be in the parade.  It sounded better than actually going to the parade.  We left later than I anticipated.  I wasn't that excited about going and Bohdin was procrastinating on cleaning the car.  He needed to find that missing piece of watermelon before it became gross and moldy.  After lots of looking we did find it.  That watermelon had flown to the front of the car. 

The event was supposed to end at nine and it was after 8 I think when we finally showed up.  There were signs that everybody was wrapping things up already.  Nevertheless the kids had fun.  This event was much funner than I expected.  In hindsight we could have spent several hours there easily.  We had to race through the area to try to finsh the scavenger hunt before it was too late.  The kids had to visit every float or balloon and get a stamp on a card.  They weren't able to finish because people went home early but they were given the prize anyway which was just a pin.  Nyla and Cora liked the horses quite a bit.  Bohdin loved the fog cannon.  Since there were so few people at that point Bohdin was able to shoot it a few times.  It was a neat device. 



There was a bouncy slide and a bouncy house and the kids did both.  Again since it wasn't busy anymore there was no waiting.  They had a lot of fun with it.  When all of the kids were kicked out of the bouncy house, Nyla wanted to go back to the area that was giving free popcorn.  We didn't get any earlier because we were trying to get those scavenger hunt stamps.  As we neared the table, one of the booth staff asked if we wanted to take the balloons home they had on their table.  I thought they were the luckiest kids ever because it was a huge bunch of helium balloons.  They were too late for the popcorn though. 



Nyla, Bohdin, and their balloon in front of the Pegasus balloon for the parade.



Today we just had to focus on cleaning which nobody wanted to do.  Nyla ended up occupying Cora so I could clean.  Bohdin thought it was unfair that she wasn't cleaning but he couldn't see her valuable contribution like I could.  If it wasn't for Nyla I wouldn't have been able to accomplish as much.  She does an excellent job of playing with her.  Bohdin doesn't do nearly as well.  When we asked him to watch her the other day while we were grouting he squirted her with water from the hose.  She was quite unhappy with her wet face and clothes and came in to tell us about it.  That's not helpful watching. 

Cora is completely enamored with Nyla.  She calls her "Ila" or sometimes "Lila"  with a heavy emphasis on the "la" portion.  Nyla likes to play princess and baby with Cora.  Cora usually will do whatever Nyla wants.  She really looks up to her. 

We went to the grocery store tonight.  Cora was in the basket and decided to play the up and down game.  She likes to stand up and say "up" and then go down and say "down".  It's one thing when we're at home but quite another when one is supposed to be sitting nicely in the basket.  That seatbelt was doing nothing to keep her contained.  She then moved on to the loud game which is her yelling loudly the word loud.  Have I mentioned before that I dislike taking her to the grocery store?   
Posted by Picasa

No comments: