Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day

I asked the kids days ago to start thinking about a father's day present for Buddy. Nyla was the first with an idea. She wanted to get him ice. It took Bohdin a bit longer but he came up with a grill. In true 5 year old fashion this is actually what he wanted to get. He's been talking about getting one for some time. We were discussing our corn several weeks ago and I told him how corn starts losing its sweetness as soon as it is picked. Ideally you pick it and put it in a pot of boiling water immediately. He thought we needed a grill outside so we wouldn't waste precious seconds walking to the kitchen. So Buddy ended up with a grill for Father's Day. He wanted to get a charcoal grill instead of a gas and we went to the store to pick one out. He picked out the one I thought we should get so I didn't have to try and steer him in a different direction. Bohdin actually gave it to him early. When they were unloading the box Bohdin thought it should go right next to the corn. We've used it twice already and it's been nice. We've had temps well above normal and today will be even worse. We won't quite hit record highs but when the kitchen is already hot and muggy at 8 in the morning it won't be pleasant to cook dinner when it heats up later.

Nyla went with me to the grocery store on Saturday and changed her ice idea to donuts. Then she wanted one in the car. I had one also because I realized I forgot lunch. Later that night we stopped at a different grocery store. Nyla came along again. I found a book that Buddy would like and Nyla decided she would give him the book and keep the donuts for herself. Buddy did eventually get one donut.

We didn't do anything special yesterday. I baked all morning trying to use up those blueberries. I accomplished all but one thing on my list which was the blueberry pie. The dough is sitting in the fridge and needs to be used so I guess I have to brave the kitchen sometime today or freeze it.

No comments: