Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Sweltering

It has been hot and humid here lately with the forecast predicting things to get even worse. The air conditioning only seems to work upstairs in the bedrooms so the rest of the house can get a little warm especially the main floor. Cooking has not been enjoyable and we eat most of our meals in the basement. Bohdin seems to live in his bathing suit on the days we don't go out. Nyla is just naked most of the time as usual. She can't stand wearing wet clothes so she takes off either her clothes or her bathing suit after getting wet. It's a good thing our backyard is pretty secluded.

We went to playgroup today at a different location. The turnout wasn't great. There were only four of us there but that still made for quite a few kids. Towards the end Nyla was actually playing with the group. They all collected sticks, rocks, seeds, and pine cones to build something. It was the first time Nyla joined them in something. It was in the 90s today and quite humid so by the time we were back in the car we looked pretty ragged. Nyla's hair was wet with sweat. As I buckled her up she said, "I sweltering". I thought is was funny that she stole Bohdin's line. It was true though. She certainly looked like she was sweltering. She has never looked hotter.





I've taken a break from math with Bohdin because I'm not certain what I want to do. I want to make sure he really understands it instead of just being able to do it. That only gets you so far. It's what happened to me and most people. Yesterday in the car I paid $1.58 at the drive through. He said another way to say 58 is 50 and 8. I agreed. He said it a few more times then said another way to say 58 is 51 +7. I was really proud of that one. I think for now we'll play a lot of math games so he can practice math and hopefully understand why it is important. That's the goal anyway. I'm not sure how well we'll accomplish that right now but he's five so there is no rush.

Bohdin has been progressing well although slowly on his spelling. He feels more comfortable taking it super slow although it's not necessary. We've been on short i for about two weeks now. I held up flash cards today for him to read and he did well on short a, short i, short o, and short u. We'll formally do short o next but it was good for him to see that he could do it. I liked seeing him work on the ones he didn't know by sight. He understands how to sound out words he doesn't know but he certainly needs more practice. He was able to catch most of the mistakes he made but there were a few that he still couldn't get. I think he's doing really well.

I spent the weekend working on Bohdin's blanket and made significant progress. The back is mostly done. I brought it upstairs to see how it looks so far on the bed but keep forgetting to take it back downstairs. Instead of making the long trek back up the stairs I just started on Nyla's blanket. She is so excited. I'm not in love with the way it's coming together but Nyla likes it. I'm hoping it looks better when it's complete than it does now in pieces. I don't think the pattern Buddy and I chose suit the fabric but there is no turning back now. If nothing else it will be the pink and chocolate blanket that Nyla likes. Just like Bohdin's blanket it will be perfectly suited for her. She chose fabric with snowmen, dogs, babies, rabbits, etc. It is a reflection of who she is right now.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bought one of those same water toys for here at the house last year. We don't have enough water pressure to shoot the balls up in the air! Bummer