Thursday, June 17, 2010

Tears

I just read about another child's act of defiance and I decided to post Nyla's story. Nyla likes to sleep not just next to me but in my arms. She is not over the trauma of last summer yet. As my belly gets bigger and I burn like an oven sometimes it's more comfortable for me to not have her so close. Last night we were still sleeping next to each other but I was turned away from her. She woke up at 5am looking for me. She didn't feel me touch her or hear me say her name. Instead she somehow crawled out of the bed and fell, hitting her head on a book on the floor. I fished out the little light and turned it on so she could easily climb back up into bed. She was sad and crying and wanted to nurse. I said no. So then she wanted me to get her some lemonade. I offered her water instead. She stormed off the bed saying, "I mad at you". She went into the hallway and laid down crying. I just shined the light in her direction. She lets me know when she wants to cry in peace and this was certainly one of those times. Buddy had been sleeping in the other room and came out to check. As soon as Nyla saw daddy she went nuts. She cried hysterically and came running back toward me. She crawled back into my arms and fell asleep. It's not just that it was daddy. It was that he came near her. She would have ran away from me if I had tried to get close also.

Bohdin went to the dentist yesterday to get some cavities filled. He has certainly inherited my teeth as has Nyla unfortunately. We have to go back next week because he has an abscess in his front tooth and the dentist recommends removing it. That will leave Bohdin with two missing front teeth for at least a year. The abscess doesn't bother him at all but the dentist showed us the picture of the hole in his gums where the pus is draining. That bothers Buddy and I. It sounds so gross to have pus draining into your mouth. The dentist said we didn't need to be concerned about his ability to chew but I still worry. That seems like a long time to go without front teeth. I forgot to ask if it would affect his speech. There doesn't seem to be a good alternative though so hopefully it turns out well. Nyla needs to go to the dentist as well to get the cavity fixed her previous dentist was unable to do because of Nyla's lack of cooperation. This dentist is both male and doesn't allow parents in the back so he just wouldn't be the right choice. We're on the cancellation list of a female dentist so hopefully we'll hear from them soon. I will also ask Bohdin's dentist if he would make an exception for Nyla. I still think there is a strong chance that she won't cooperate even if I am there but I am positive it wouldn't work out if I am not there.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh my goodness, that girl's got a strong will! Too funny that she laid down in the hall.