Sunday, January 9, 2011

Life

Between homeschooling and an infant I'm much busier than ever. Homeschooling doesn't actually take that long but this past week I've been planning for upcoming times. There are only four lessons left in his spelling curriculum and I wasn't sure if I wanted to move on with the second book or hold off. Since I need to place an order for that I want to do the rest of the curriculum at the same time to save on shipping. There are so many choices and I've spent the week reviewing some of that. Once we finish geography we're going to study Native Americans with a focus on preColumbus times. That was Bohdin's choice. I've also had to request all of the Europe books I'm going to need in the upcoming weeks and the science books. That is mostly decided. The one unknown is what to do about Bohdin's reading. The spelling curriculum teaches phonics. If you can spell a word you can read it. The trouble is he sort of learned to read on his own. The way he reads is guessing the word instead of sounding it out. It's not a good method. Right now he mostly hates reading and I'm not certain of the reason. Maybe he hates the stories I choose, maybe it's harder than he likes since he's still so new at it, or maybe it's something else entirely. I may start him on a separate phonics reading program. The other option would just be to hold off on reading practice for now. There is a lot to think about. I did just get him art curriculum. As much as I enjoy his free form painting I don't think he'll win at the state fair with one of those. Plus he wanted to learn art techniques. We'll see what happens. He really wants to enter something and art is one of his best bets. It's the only category where he would be competing against kids very close to his age. I plan to teach him to sew this winter or spring. He can enter a pillowcase in the 13 and under category.



I've been busy sewing. I planned to make Bohdin a robe for Christmas after I finished Nyla's butterfly blanket. I just finished the blanket this week though. Nyla chose all of the fabrics which is hopefully obvious. The other side is a bit different and a bit more hideous. All of the fabrics chosen really represent Nyla though. It needs one more wash to finish fluffing up.



Bohdin started soccer practice again this week. He had a lot of fun with the older age group. There were seven kids and Bohdin was neither the best nor the worst. As a female I'm proud to say that the lone girl was definitely the best. There was a boy who had never done soccer before who wasn't as advanced yet. I'm so glad Bohdin is learning soccer this way. It is so much better for him than joining a league. Toward the end of practice they played three on three. Bohdin scored a goal. The other team won though because they had the girl. I'm not sure they kept track of scoring.

Cora is turning circles better this week. She still can't claw her way forward. She's had some trouble sleeping this week because it's been dry. As a result she's been fussy at times especially in the car. We're back to crying on car rides across town. Below is a picture of her with a net over her head courtesy of her brother. He thought it was much funnier than anybody else.


Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the butterfly!

Helen said...

Well I'm glad somebody does. My kids seem to have very little to no appreciation for the things I make even when they request them.