Friday, March 16, 2012

Leash

Bohdin had speech therapy early Wednesday morning.  It was early for us anyway at 9:30am.  Bohdin loved his appointment.  I didn't catch as much of it as I had the previous week.  She had him do some speech exercises and they talked a bit.  I still don't know if it will improve Bohdin's stuttering but we'll keep going for now just because he likes it so much.  Being homeschooled, he misses out on the adult interaction that kids get at school so I like it for that reason.

We had gone to the zoo Tuesday afternoon but we didn't have much time so we went again after Bohdin's appointment.  The day was so warm that everybody in town with little kids had the same idea as us.  The kids really wanted to go to the playground so we went to the nearest one.  Nyla had her baby and stroller with us so I didn't want to go to the far one.  I was already skeptical about her pushing that thing all around and I didn't want to add a hill for her.  When we reached the playground I told them to stay there and not go past the wood chips.  There were lots of kids there and with three kids to keep an eye on, it's easy to lose track of one for a while.  I glanced around for Bohdin at one point and didn't see him anywhere.  He left.  Nyla needed to pee so we had to leave as well.  We left Nyla's baby stroller there just in case Bohdin came back.  I thought it would let him know that we were still around.  When we came back Bohdin still wasn't there.  I was getting worried and mad and told Nyla that we would have to go to the lost child desk and ask for help finding him.  As we were walking away Bohdin came up behind us.  He was bored at the playground and decided to see the gorillas.  I explained to him that it was not right but a few minutes later he went really far ahead of us again.  No matter how many times I explained it he kept wanting to get away.  I was contemplating a leash for him.  It was really hot by noon and we were getting tired.  On the way out Bohdin was walking ahead and chose the wrong path.  We had to wait a few minutes for him to realize that we were not behind and come looking for us.  It was really annoying.  After that he stayed fairly close.  I couldn't help but think of the super clingy baby and toddler he used to be.  I know there were people who thought he would always be my side.  He's not that clingy baby anymore.

That night the girls from across the street came over again.  Once again they made a huge mess they didn't clean up and broke at least one toy.  Afterward Bohdin wanted to go see N- two houses down.  He came and told me, not asked, that he was going down to his house.  A few seconds later I went to find him to have him make sure that it was okay with his parents but Bohdin was already gone.  He had run out of the house.

This morning Nyla, found one of Buddy's notebooks.  He uses notebooks for work.  She wanted to write in it and insisted it had to be that notebook instead of one of the dozens of notebooks I have bought specifically for her to use.  When I told her that she shouldn't use that one without asking if it is okay she told me in an accusatory tone "You're keeping me from being a journalist."  Eventually we called and she received permission to use the notebook so her dreams of being a journalist today were not crushed.

I should add that Nyla did push that doll stroller around the zoo without help or complaint as she had predicted.  I had strong doubts which probably fueled her desire to be successful.  I noticed her receiving a lot of attention while pushing that thing around by both kids and parents.  I wonder how many kids will want to bring their baby dolls and strollers to the zoo after seeing her.  I wish I had asked Nyla if she would want to do it again.

No comments: