Sunday, March 11, 2012

Love Box

Bohdin had his evaluation with the speech therapist on Wednesday.  It took about an hour and he was tested for articulation and vocabulary.  I was out in the hallway with Nyla and Cora and was able to overhear parts of it.  The tests started out easy and became progressively difficult.  He had to define words, point to the picture that most related to the word or phrase used, and several other tests.  I heard them reassure him several times when he missed some that it was 7th grade level stuff and that it was okay.  When they were doing the word definition test they asked him the word poor.  He paused and said it means two things.  The speech therapist spelled the one she wanted but Bohdin doesn't know how to spell either version so finally he just gave both definitions.  A few words later was the word worrier.  He had no idea what it meant.  He said it sounded like warrior.  At the end they said that he his articulation and vocabulary were excellent which I was aware of and that he has moderate stuttering and three different types of stuttering.  They noticed that his breathing was a little off at times and thought they could help him with that.  I'm not certain they can be much help but I'll give it a couple of times.  To me Bohdin's problem is that his brain is faster than his mouth.  Bohdin says he only stutters when he is excited but I think he stutters only when he has to think about what he is saying.  He doesn't stutter when he is reading or saying something routine.  I'm skeptical but will give them a chance.

When Cora was sleeping on Thursday Nyla came in with a picture she had drawn for me and a love box.  It was a small box she had filled with things that would let me remember her when she is gone.  In it were two notes.  She read one to me that stated "Bohdin, I'm not going to let you cut my finger off even though I love you."  Buddy and I got the full story out of Bohdin and Nyla later but unfortunately I didn't write that down and have mostly forgotten it.  Bohdin never suggested that Nyla should cut her finger off.  In addition to the two notes, the love box contained popsicle sticks and Nyla's hair band.

Friday afternoon M- and family came over to play.  Nyla was super excited to see R-.  They played together a little bit but then R- threw up.  He didn't seem sick but perhaps he was because now Cora is not feeling well.  She threw up three times last night and is back to sleep right now even though it is mid morning.  I hope it's just a coincidence because I don't want everybody to get sick.  Cora and I are mostly quarantined right now so I'm hoping for the best.

We're going to put new flooring in the basement and it is piled up down there until we install it.  Cora watched Nyla climb on it and wanted to do the same. She had no trouble climbing up but couldn't jump off the way Nyla had.  Nyla came to the rescue and caught Cora as she jumped into Nyla's arms.  They thought it was so much fun they did it over and over.  Cora weighs about six pounds less than Nyla and she was jumping from a place that was about chest high on Nyla.  Nyla has always been my strongest child. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

todGreat pictures; wonderful update. Glad the kids enjoyed the Easter outing (and what's up with Bud not going!).