The plumbers came on Thursday and by mid morning we had a functioning toilet on the first floor after more than one year. I think we are all in love with it except for Cora. I know that both Buddy and I have been in the kitchen and not wanted to go upstairs to pee only to remember that we don't have to anymore. It's so much more convenient. As I'm writing this Buddy is installing the door. It doesn't resemble the old kitchen at all anymore.
Buddy had been working late for many days so Friday he came home early. He asked me if I wanted to go to the dealership to check out a car since he had some time. He has been driving the Civic ever since I got the minivan but he never fell in love with it. I think it is a fantastic car and I still enjoy driving it. We bought the car twelve years ago so it is getting a little old I suppose. We looked at Toyota Camry hybrid. The only thing Buddy liked about the Civic was the gas mileage. Cora was getting fussy there so I took Bohdin and her to the grocery store. Buddy told me he was just going to talk them. He wasn't going to buy a car yet. He bought the car. He called me and talked to me about it but I did find it amusing that he bought it after saying he wasn't. He really likes it. I've been struggling to find three car seats that will fit so we can use it around town with the kids but no luck yet. Bohdin is the trouble child since booster seats are generally wide.
Last night was time for Thunder Over Louisville again. After Cora had a really long nap we had dinner and got ready to go. A cold front came through Friday night so it was pretty chilly. I can't remember the last time we've had such cool temperatures. Earlier in the week it was in the 80s and the high yesterday was in the 50s. The good part about the cooler weather was the lower crowds. They estimated that over 400,000 went but that is way lower than the 750,000 that could show up with nicer weather. It wasn't as cold as last year. We parked almost two miles away to give us a better chance to beating traffic. We also showed up late in the day so we couldn't be all that picky. The kids did a good job walking there. We set up chairs and hung out for a while before the fireworks started. Cora hated the air show. Most of the airplanes scared her. The first of the fireworks scared her as well. After the first few she looked tired and bored more than anything. Sometimes she looked at them but she spent more time looking at the people behind me. Bohdin seemed bored as well but he said he was just tired. He stood on a chair for a better view. Buddy held Nyla mostly on his shoulders. She was giddy. She was cheering, yelling, clapping, and about as excited as a person could be. She loved it. This morning the first thing she said when she woke up was how great the fireworks were and how she wishes they were everyday. Buddy and I thought the show this year was better than last year. The finale was fantastic. No other fireworks show can compare. Buddy thinks one of the good things is how close you can be compared to other shows. Cora had ash in her hair and paper was flying around us. Bohdin said he could feel the boom of the fireworks in his throat. Nyla had trouble walking on the way back. I put her in the carrier for a while and Buddy held Cora in his arms. Bohdin complained of tired legs but he made it. I think we need to walk more if four miles tires him out so much.
I don't think fireworks photograph well because so much is lost in a picture. Without the sound and the smell and the smoke, it's not the same. Buddy thought I should have taken pictures last year so this year I did. The bottom picture shows the first firework waterfall off the bridge. We were set up between the bridge and the barges again this year. They set off nearly identical fireworks from both with the exception of the waterfall effects and few others. From this spot we get a great view of the bridge but we sort of see only half the show since one part is to our right and the other fireworks are set off to our left. If we ever have an opportunity to go again perhaps we will try another location.
Today we went to the Revolutionary War encampment demonstration at Locust Grove. Cora started crying after the musket shots. She's had a noisy weekend. There actually wasn't that much there. There were some tents set up, a few games, and a lady demonstrating washing and ironing clothes. Bohdin wanted to go back inside the museum. He read the kid area again and said he had no memory of any of it even though it's only been a month since we were last there. The Kentucky History Homeschool group was there and I talked to one of the dads. It's a neat group that I think Bohdin would enjoy but the meeting are at 2pm. Cora is almost always asleep at that time. They have one more meeting before summer break and I might try to attend anyway. The group had put together a scavenger hunt of pictures from inside the museum. Bohdin and Nyla loved it. Cora behaved just as badly as the last time we were there. She just wanted to run around.
Cora fell down the steps again this week. She ended up with a large bruise on her forehead. I was hoping it would teach her to be cautious but no luck. She is more determined than ever to walk down the stairs normally. She refuses to let me carry her and even though Bohdin and Nyla have begun crawling down the steps backward in an attempt to make her do that again she will not.

1 comment:
Boy! you have been busy!! Glad to hear the bathroom is taking shape. I know you've waited a long time! Like the looks of the car.
Post a Comment