Monday, April 16, 2012

Garbler

It's been over a year since we've played with G- but today we finally had the opportunity to see him again.  They've moved to a new house which had a very nice backyard complete with baby chicks.  The kids spent a lot of time chasing them.  Everybody had a good time and wanted to see G- and A- again.  With G-'s school schedule it's tough but perhaps this summer.

I've been reading Little House on the Prairie to Bohdin at night.  Most nights I will read at least a chapter.  Sometimes Nyla listens and sometimes she doesn't.  She has missed the past few nights but did come in tonight to listen.  It was the chapter where Laura and Mary were scared because of the panther on the loose that eats little girls.  They were scared the night they heard it and couldn't sleep.  Pa tried for days to hunt it down so it would be safe for them to go outside again.  At the end of the chapter the panther is dead. How could I turn off the lights and say goodnight to Nyla after reading that chapter to her?  She is going through a random scared phase that won't let her be in a room alone at times.  The timing of it is really random so there is no telling when it is okay to leave her and when it is not.  I decided to read another chapter to erase the memory of the panther.  It was the chapter where Laura and Mary were scared of the Indian jamboree while Pa is away in town.  Two scary chapters in a row and probably the only two scary chapters in the entire book.  At least the chapter ended with new hairbows for Laura and Mary.  Nyla spent some time studying the picture and I hoped hairbows replaced panthers in her mind.  After I put the book down Nyla said that she was still thinking about the garbler.  Bohdin was confused but I knew she meant panther.  I set up a protective shield for all of us and eventually she managed to go to sleep.  I hope she doesn't dream of a garbler that eats little girls tonight.

No comments: