Buddy reserved the hotels for us while we were traveling. I would call him and confirm the city we would be staying in and he would then get on Hotwire and find something suitable. The Savannah motel was interesting with really amazing management. The room vibrated at times possibly due to the construction next door. It also had the original bathroom for the 50s. It was fine but not remotely upscale. When I pulled into the St. Augustine hotel I thought I might be at the wrong place. Buddy had chosen a three star hotel within walking distance of the beach. It was so much nicer than the previous nights, I was surprised. We took advantage of the location and went to the beach that night for a little while and again the next morning. Bohdin and Nyla said it was their favorite beach.
The beach was extremely wide. A lot of the beaches in the area have very hard packed sand but not this one. I've never sunk into the sand so much. When I was carrying Cora I sank well past my ankle once. I took a picture of someone's footprint. The waves were very strong and there was a rip current warning. The waves seemed to be coming from two directions at once and the rhythm was unusual. Cora wanted to jump the deep waves like Bohdin but she kept getting splashed in the face. She wasn't thrilled when I pulled her back to the small waves. The kids really enjoyed this beach and one its best features in their eyes was the sand shelf.
I had originally intended to attend a walking tour of Flagler college but for everyone's sake I skipped it. I don't think the kids would have enjoyed it. We headed to Orlando to pick up Buddy after noon. The trip down was interesting. It was a bit further driving that way especially with the detours like Savannah. The kids liked it and it was easier on them. I didn't want to get them too burner out on driving because they would be making the return journey in two days. It was also their last chance to see the beach for the foreseeable future.
Here are Bohdin and Nyla's rushed responses about driving there.
Bohdin - My favorite thing was the beach with the sandbar because if you stood on the edge long enough the sand came off. So it was really weird and fun to stand on the edge without falling off. My other favorite thing was the waterfall. There was a rainbow and it was just really neat and I got a new rock. I also liked going to the park in Savannah. It was really fun to explore. There was another one right next to the first one and it was just really fun because it was so big.
Nyla - I remember the waterfall and the beach. I liked the sandbar and the moving sand where the water helped you move.

1 comment:
Lots of great pictures . . . in which we see the kids having lots of fun. Great vacation!
Post a Comment