Friday, September 21, 2012

Getting to Disney part 1












We just got back home after being gone for 13 days.  Early on the 9th the kids and I left for Disney World.  To maximize our time there I started driving several days early while Buddy flew.  It's over 14 hours there and it takes two days minimum.  I stretched it to four days so it wouldn't be so difficult for Cora.  I noticed a huge change since our last trip in July and there was never any big problems with her.

Our first day was the longest drive and every day would get shorter.  I left around 6 in the morning thinking the kids would go back to sleep.  Cora eventually did but Bohdin and Nyla did not.  They were able to watch the sun rise but I don't think they were very interested.  After a few hours of driving we stopped at our first pit stop, Cumberland Falls.  The kids were semi interested.  It killed some time and I thought it was pleasant.  The rode getting there was windy and Bohdin sort of threw up when we arrived.  Every once in a while he gets motion sickness.  He was fine after a few minutes and I spent most of the time trying to keep everybody somewhat together.

We then drove through the mountains of Tennessee which are quite pretty.  I was the only one impressed.  I might come back here someday.  We arrived in Asheville, North Carolina around three.  There is a small earth science museum there that we spent some time in.  I had a hard time keeping Cora out of trouble there and chasing her around occupied a lot of time.  She refused to be in the carrier.  We had dinner at a restaurant and Cora didn't do too terrible.  Buddy was jealous because it was our favorite restaurant.  Unfortunately it has gone way downhill since the last time Buddy and I went about ten years ago.  I was pretty tired so we just went to the hotel.

The next morning we were scheduled to drive into Savannah Georgia.  We stopped for lunch in South Carolina to try some of the mustard sauce.  Bohdin didn't like it and the girls didn't even try it.  It felt like a long day driving and we were all glad to make it to the hotel.  I wanted to explore the historic section of the town but took the kids to the beach at Tybee Island instead.  I knew they would have more fun there.  There wasn't a lot of daylight left so we had to enjoy it quickly.  Nyla spent most of her time dancing on the beach.  Cora held my hand in fright for a few minutes before running off to play.  Bohdin spent most of his time in the water.















The next morning we spent a little time walking around town.  We visited Forsyth Park which was lovely.  It was a beautiful town that I need to return to with Buddy.  The kids don't make the best travel partners because they are always acting like children.  At least I've had a little taste of Savannah.





We drove a couple of hours south to Jekyll beach.  I had planned for us to visit the turtle center there but we ended up just spending a little bit of time at the beach.  The water was filled with a lot of sediment so the kids didn't enjoy this beach much.  I rather liked it because I didn't have to watch the kids as closely with none of them in the water.  I was able to lay down and enjoy some quiet time.
It wasn't long before we were on our way south into Florida.









Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You got some really great shots, Helen. The one of Nyla on her tippy toe is really fun.