Wednesday, May 5, 2010

And then there were none

We watched the Derby and some of the preceding races from home while Paul, Jenn, and the others watched it live. By the end of the day Nyla recognized the call to post. None of us won anything until about race 8 when Bohdin finally picked a winner. I didn't get anything right until the derby when my horse came in first. I only placed a show bet though so I didn't get a lot of money. Buddy won money on the second and third place horses. Overall we almost broke even by the end of the day. Buddy came home in time to watch the race on tv but slept through it.

Bohdin was sad to see all of our visitors leave Sunday. One batch left early Sunday morning and another group about noon. They were the best most unobtrusive guests ever. Not only did I get a new sliding glass door installed out of the deal but they were also quiet. No messes were made and they played with Bohdin and Nyla. I hope to see them again next year but this time I shouldn't have work for them.

Nyla was starting to feel better by Sunday and was dancing around. I have video of her dancing that I've been meaning to post. Paul and Jenn were treated to the robot dance which they both thought was funny.





Since Buddy was finally home he took over some of the chores including care of the chickens. They started sleeping outside last week so all that was needed was food and water. Ever since we lost the two chicks the rule has been that they can't be out of their coop without supervision. Buddy didn't find the rule as necessary as I did and let them out while he was inside the house. That night he didn't secure the door of the chicken coop. There was a gap where the chickens could get out. The next day when we checked on the chickens they were all gone. Some dogs had come through our yard that day so it could have been them or the hawk again. I saw the hawk again that day and the two dogs came back again. Even if it wasn't the dogs that ate our chickens they did trample our garden. We had a lot of rain on Sunday so they made deep tracks through the garden and killed at least one bean plant. The kids were surprisingly indifferent while I was definitely the saddest. Once again I failed the chickens and they met a terrible end.

I had a consult with a midwife in Indiana yesterday. Buddy and the kids came but Buddy got hardly anything out of it since he was busy keeping the kids preoccupied. I didn't expect to find anybody so good in this area. It was everything I wanted. Now I just have to get a referral which I hope won't be a problem. Everything is working out perfectly. I'm glad that I was with the other OBGYN group first because a midwife would not have sent me to a hematologist. The hematologist was actually the best person I've met this pregnancy. He really put my mind at ease. Prior to talking to him I was really scared that I could die but he gave me the confidence to believe that I'll be able to handle the bleeding. So I went from terrified to not even slightly concerned. That's priceless.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

anna said...

That is sad news about the chickens. Of the 12 we started with, we have 6 left. They seem to be doing really well. At least next spring you will be better prepared to raise more chicks.

I'm so happy for you that you found someone you can trust and that they gave you the peace of mind you needed!