As I'm typing this Nyla is laying next to me but not in my arms. For many many months now she has only wanted to sleep in my arms or sometimes daddy's arms. Yesterday she spent the whole nap by herself although when I told her about it upon her awakening she vehemently denied it. I hate to mention this since doing so might jinx it.
Nyla denying that she slept alone yesterday reminded me of an incident several weeks ago. She came upstairs to use the bathroom. She wanted to use the big potty but the door was closed. Without even trying to open it she comes in complaining that she needs help. I told her I wouldn't help her until she at least tried to open the door by herself first. She walks back to the door, turns the doorknob, and opens the door. She quickly closed it then sat down on the floor crying "See. I can't open it." Can't argue with that.
We didn't pull out any schoolwork at all while Buddy was gone. We reviewed math and letter sounds in the car from time to time but that was it. Bohdin was having trouble remembering all of the sounds the letter a makes. I was thinking of this on Monday and thought we should pull something out. He didn't want to but I pulled out his spelling anyway. I don't remember what started it but a few minutes later he was reading all of the three letter words on the page. He did fine as long as he didn't assume he knew what was written. He was also able to finally phonetically break down three letter words. We put the spelling aside in the summer because he just couldn't separate the last two letters. We'll probably start doing a lot more of the spelling in the next few weeks. He finally seems ready. I'm still not sure what I'll do with the math. My original goal was to stay where we are until he can add single digits as quickly as I can but maybe that's not necessary. He is a lot faster than he was a month ago and I'm sure that with continued practice he will have them memorized.
2 comments:
I did a little math with him when he was there. I think he trying to memorize instead of understand, but he is so smart he will get it figured out soon.
I feel like he understands it pretty well. That's much easier to see in daily conversation rather than just asking him what 5 plus 3 equals. His math curriculum really focuses on understanding. It's not a worksheet of 5+2=. They ask stuff more along the lines of 5+?=7 or trying to figure out how many ways you can add up to the number 9.
Post a Comment