Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Playgroup

We have been really busy the past two mornings. Every weekday for the last two weeks I asked the kids if they wanted to go to the zoo or science museum. They didn't. It's understandable with the busy April we had. It was good to spend some time at home again. Yesterday morning they did want to go to the zoo. I checked the zoo website and saw their new huge splash park was open. Unfortunately it was kind of cold and rainy yesterday so we postponed the zoo until next week and went to the science museum instead. It sort of felt like we were at the zoo though because it is field trip time and the place was packed. We were able to enjoy some quiet pockets here and there. Bohdin enjoyed the robotic arm at the temporary robot exhibit. Nyla liked it for a while but became bored. Maybe Buddy or I can take Bohdin by himself this weekend so he can do it as long as he wants. Nyla did not like the crowds or the noise. I remember when Bohdin was the same way. At one point 90 kids came into a certain area. Bohdin ran off to play but Nyla was scared.

Today we went to a park for a summer playgroup of homeschoolers that just started. It was very lightly drizzling so I wasn't sure anybody would be there. When we arrived an hour late there were three other mothers there with children of various ages. The youngest was 21 months and the oldest was 12 I think. The kids already knew each other so the moms made a point of introducing Bohdin to the kids around his age and asking their children to play with him. It was a nice gesture and it worked. We stayed about an hour and a half and Bohdin had a lot of fun. He didn't want to leave but everybody else was going. He asked if all of the same kids would be there next week. I'm glad that he found a group he liked. I think the youngest child he played with was 4 and the oldest was 8. The group looks extremely promising. The playgroups only run through the summer but it seems that by the end of summer Bohdin will have made some friends that we can continue to see.

Our garden is doing okay. A rabbit came and decimated our beautiful peas which is very sad. The corn looks really good as do the strawberries. That's no surprise since those crops are well suited to the area. The wild strawberries in our lawn look very healthy also. The new beans are starting to sprout. The transplanted tomatoes look rough so Buddy planted a corresponding seed next to each transplant as insurance. We still have a few more things to plant but it has been difficult with all of the rain. As of yesterday morning the airport reported 5.88" of rain for the month. It rained again yesterday so we ought to be above 6" by now. The end of April was also quite rainy so it has been a challenge.

Bohdin was talking to Nyla the other night in the bathroom and explained excitedly that she would be able to teach the new baby things. Nyla said she would like to teach the baby how to kick. She denies it now but both Bohdin and I heard her say that. I can't imagine what she will actually teach the baby. Nyla and I are so lucky that Bohdin is such an awesome big brother. I'm certain that without him Nyla would be even crazier than she is. Bohdin is so patient and kind. He is a wonderful role model. Yesterday in the car after the science museum she was hungry and had part of her snack but what she really wanted was Bohdin's ham and cheese sandwich. She yelled and cried for it. Bohdin took a piece and gave it to her. Since she was already mad she just threw it down. He gave her another piece which she also threw. He then gave her a third piece which she ate. She never would have had so many chances with me. I probably would have been stingier also. He ended up giving her the majority of his sandwich even though he was really hungry.

No comments: