After Cora's nap, Buddy dropped off Drucilla, Tyler, R-, the kids and I at the Kentucky Derby. We met up with Paul who led us to the spot he had reserved that morning in the infield. They left super early to be the second people in the gates. It was really nice having so much room to spread out and the rope they hung up kept other people out. Everybody did a good job keeping the kids safe during the Derby. We arrived in time for race 8. I had the kids place bets on most of the races. I didn't make it to the betting window in time for that race which is unfortunate because Nyla's horse won. She could have had $13. I didn't study the horses because I've found that does not increase my chances of winning. I picked as randomly as the kids. Nyla wanted the pink horse except in the Kentucky Derby. She chose the blue horse for that one. That was actually an interesting pick since Calvin Borel was riding that one.
Last weekend Buddy was in Lowes and overheard somebody talking about their horses in the Derby. This lady said she had one horse in the Oaks and two in the Derby. I looked up owners a few days later and found there was only one group who had one horse in both the Derby and Oaks. They're like a management group so this lady was wrong. The name of the horse was Animal Kingdom. I liked it immediately. Yesterday when I needed to come up with a bet quickly I went with that horse. I picked well because he was the winner. I was really excited at the end of the race but it seemed there was confusion if the number 6 horse was the winner or the number 16. Paul also bet on Animal Kingdom so we were both happy with the official results.
Bohdin was disappointed that he hadn't won anything so we stayed for the last race. I made a place bet on his horse to increase the odds but I was going to tell him he won regardless of the actual winner of the race. We went to the grandstands for the last race. Tyler liked it better and I might have also but we arrived during the race. I was still trying to get the kids in position as the race was finishing. Bohdin's horse won so we cashed out. If I had placed a win bet he would have had $10 but he walked out with $3.50 instead. He thinks he bet the two dimes he brought with him. This was the highlight of the day for Bohdin. He said the thing he liked the least was seeing the trash. There was trash everywhere.
Meeting up with Buddy was harder than expected. I didn't have phone service until later that evening. Buddy was trapped by all of the road closures. We ended up walking almost a mile and a half from the original meetup spot. Bohdin was tired of walking and cried a bit once he was in his carseat and the ordeal was over. Bohdin and Nyla both said they were glad they went.
On the drive home I told Nyla that R- would be going home the following day. She just couldn't understand why. Nyla doesn't want her to leave because R- is "her best kid".

No comments:
Post a Comment