I had trouble posting words while we are gone but now that we are home I can. The other days I'll get to tomorrow and will just edit the previous post. I put captions on the previous post with the pictures.
Tuesday we went west to Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park. The plan was to do a hike, followed by the scenic drive, then the dune climb and beach. Cora fell asleep about three minutes before we arrived at the hike site so we did the scenic drive. At the first stop we decided to just pull over and have lunch. It was a forested area and incredibly quiet. It was a nice place to stop. Cora didn't stay asleep much longer and she was able to come with us by stop nine. We didn't get out of the car for very many of the stops. Stop number nine was the overlook of Lake Michigan from the top of a dune. It was a nice view. The kids were quite impatient at first but then came to enjoy it. The weather has been unusually hot for the area and we felt it at the top of the sand dune. To cool off we skipped the hike and dune climb and went straight to the beach. The one we chose had a lot of rocks and we had a great time collecting rocks. We found some really amazing ones maybe even some of the famous Petoskey stones which contain fossils.
Buddy inflated a small raft and we were all going to float around. The raft was really cramped and Cora hated something about it. Cora, Nyla, and I ditched the raft and Bohdin and Buddy floated around for a while. Cora continued her favorite activity of placing rocks in her mouth and Nyla played around doing various things. At one point she was running down the beach and into the water. She tripped and her head went under water. She was scared but I was there as fast as possible and soon she was playing again.
When Buddy came on shore he became interested in rock collecting but Cora was getting tired. She had only had a very short nap. We headed back to town and ate more of the cherries and apricots we had picked up earlier. There are tons of cherry trees in the area. The town calls itself the cherry capital of the world and that may be true. There are stands selling cherries every few miles. The cherries were wonderfully tasty. It will be hard to eat cherries from a grocery store after this. Our hands were stained with cherry juice.
Cora fell asleep on the way back to the hotel so we decided to let her sleep and we would eat dinner later. Finally at 7:30 after waiting two hours we were done waiting and just woke her up. Cora was behaving horribly in the restaurant. She was a very curious child who wanted to explore everything. That is not a good thing in a restaurant. At one point I took her outside for a while. She tore a leaf off a plant. She seemed to be causing destruction everywhere. I brought her back in after a few minutes when our food had arrived. It helped a little bit but we still had to rush. When we were almost done she was getting antsy again so I told Buddy that I was going to take her outside again. Before I had a chance to get up The people from the next table leaned over on their way out and complimented us on our well behaved children who tried so many different foods. I found the timing ironic. Bohdin and Nyla did do well which they are capable of. Buddy had a big hand in that as he kept them engaged through most of our time there.
Once again I've asked Bohdin and Nyla to tell me about the day. It is incredibly hard to pull this information from them. I think I interviewed Nyla for five minutes to get these few short sentences. It is her words but told over many minutes. Same goes for Bohdin.
Bohdin - I would have liked the ride in our canoe except there wasn't much room and one crying baby. I liked finding where the wooden path led. It led to a place with a really good view.
Nyla - We went to the sand dunes. And then we went down to go into the sand. And then we stopped at a river. We looked at a river but Cora was asleep. The water was fine. We went in a boat but it might be a little too small. I liked the rocks.
No comments:
Post a Comment