Saturday, August 13, 2011

Lasers

Nyla woke up early Wednesday morning terrified of lasers.  She wasn't able to go back to sleep until it was light out I think.  She was hiding under the covers almost trembling because the lasers were going to cut her.  She talked about lasers on Wednesday alternating between being terrified and singing about them playfully.  That night she was scared as well but not as much.  Even today, Saturday, she is still talking about lasers.  She refuses to be anywhere by herself because there might be lasers. 

Thursday was a beautiful day.  After weeks of oppressive humidity and high temperatures we had a not humid day with lower than average temperatures.  It seemed like a perfect day to stop at a nearby park.  The kids didn't care for the playground so Bohdin asked if we could check out the trail.  The park has the best biking paths in the area and I thought it would be okay to walk on them.  I looked at the map and thought the playground loop would be perfect.  It was a really nice path and looked perfect for biking.  We did see a few and stepped out of the way in time.  After going for quite some time I stopped a biker and asked him how much further it was.  He told me I could get off on the road up ahead.  I was really confused by the directions.  Since we were on a  loop we shouldn't come out on a road.  We should come out at the playground.  We came out on the road and I didn't know which way to go.  I flagged down a car and he pointed me to the right way but told me it was pretty far.  He was right.  I checked the mileage on the way out and from that point it was 7/10 of a mile.  The path we took to get there had numerous switchbacks so we hiked about 2 miles.  As we were walking through the forest Nyla pretended we were going to visit fairyland.  Toward the end she became tired of walking and said "I'm tired of walking but I know we need to keep going.".  It was a surprisingly mature thing for her to say.  When we arrived back at the playground Bohdin said he never wanted to do that again.  I don't think it was that bad and I thought we should actually do it more often.  Then I came home and found a giant tick crawling on me.  Today Buddy found a tick behind Cora's ear.  There is no telling how long that tick has been there.  Now I remember why we don't do stuff like that more often. 

Bohdin was excited to do his Playmobil setup of the history lesson on Friday.  He made one scene with a cave and showed the food sources nearby and then he did the first farmers with their mud brick house.  I reread the history lesson and then had him narrate a few sentences about it.  I plan to print out the pictures and put his sentences underneath to make a history book he can look over any time he wants.  He is having so much fun with it and is eagerly anticipating getting new toys for it.  I'll pick up some people next week with the Three Wise Kings and maybe Nativity set.  I bought a Roman the other day at the store but won't give it to him until it is needed.  He is so antsy he begged to do history today.  I couldn't say no so we did a history lesson.  He then went downstairs and set up the scene.  He wanted to do the battle between the Upper Egypt King (white hat) and Lower Egypt King (red hat) but Playmobil only has the hat for the Upper Egypt King after he conquered the Lower Egypt King (red and white).   
Nyla was tasked with keeping Cora occupied while Bohdin set up his scene.  Cora was laughing hysterically until I took the picture and ended the fun.

Bohdin's cave people


Bohdin's early farmers.  It doesn't show up well in the picture but he set up every person to be gathering food in a different way.  One is picking wheat, one is fishing, one is picking apples, and one is feeding the sheep.

Nyla makes herself chocolate peanut butter sandwiches but often leaves the jar open on the floor.  It is one of the few foods that Cora likes to eat.  I never offer it to her so she takes full advantage of Nyla not putting it away.

The Upper Egyptian King after he has conquered the Lower Egyptians.  The Nile river is to the right with crops growing beside it.  The guy on top of the building is watching the Nile river for flooding.

Nyla wanted me to take a picture of her scene as well.  Those are sheep sleeping in beds and one baby.  I don't know what the back story is but wish I had asked. 


Posted by Picasa

No comments: