Sunday, August 7, 2011

Long day

We went to Ikea yesterday to pick up the remaining cabinets.  It sucks that we had to do it on a weekend because they are crazy busy on those days.  We wanted to be there when they first opened to make it a little better.  Us and hundreds of other people had the same idea.  We didn't have to wait to put in our order because there were plenty of employees milling around the kitchen area.  Every single one of them looked incompetent.  I had Buddy choose one since he is better at that and we were off.  He chose a nice person but she didn't know what she was doing and we were soon handed off to the rude girl who didn't know much more.  It took a long time to get the order placed and I had to rush down to pick up Bohdin and Nyla from the play land after the one hour limit.  Buddy paid for the cabinets and then we ate.  He was told it would be about 45 minutes.  It was actually much much longer.  When everything finally came out, and to their credit it was completely correct, Buddy loaded up the truck and minivan.  We had been at Ikea for about 5 hours at that point. 

I stopped and bought Bohdin and Nyla some food and drinks for the ride home.  Cora was sleeping and the kids were quietly eating.  With all of that wonderful silence I was able to think and I realized we were missing a vital component to our order.  Our Ikean should have mentioned it but for whatever reason did not.  I had to turn around.  We were not that far away but it still sucked.  When I arrived back at Ikea I had to wake up three sleeping kids.  I was mad.  Our original nice Ikean helped me out and it went fast.  It turns out that there was something else that was missing but it wasn't vital like the other thing was.  As I was paying I saw that they did indeed carry the rollout shelves that Buddy wanted for the laundry room but I was too tired to put in another order.  Maybe we'll switch it out later. 

We had to stop for a bathroom and play break at McDonalds.  Cora was able to play as well and she had fun.  There was a loud tv playing Nick Jr there and at one point a video came on.  The kids were familiar with the song since it was one of their favorites but they had never seen the video.  Bohdin and Nyla stopped playing to watch.  Cora and I were next to Bohdin and we turned around and watched as well.  For some reason when this song comes on in the car, Bohdin likes to pretend he is conducting.  It is the only song he does it to.  Nyla has started to copy him again on this song only.  While we were watching the video, Cora started moving her hands around as if she were conducting.  Bohdin was not.  Perhaps it was coincidence but I wonder if Cora recognized the song and was copying the arm movements she had seen Nyla and Bohdin perform. 

In the quiet of the morning I have time to think about our order again and I realized there is another mistake.  I modified a pantry unit which was the cause of all the fuss at ordering time.  I forgot some key shelves.  There is another trip to Ikea in my future.  This time I'll go on a weekday and we'll stop at the Cleopatra exhibit while we are in town.  Or I hope so anyway.  I despise Ikea on a weekend and don't want to go through the horror of that again. 

Last weekend I think Bohdin was playing with a magnet and placing it on several objects including the tv and external hard drive.  The tv now has a large discolored spot.  We were disappointed with Bohdin because he knew that would happen since he was already done this once before.  We didn't yell at him but he feels that we did.  He has been sad and crying all week about it.  He can be really hard on himself.  On the drive up yesterday while Nyla and Cora slept I told him some of the many mistakes I have made.  He really enjoyed hearing it and I think it made him feel better. 

We keep large bags of insulation at the top of the stairs to keep Cora from going down.  Friday night I found Cora crawling down the stairs.  The insulation was in place so she must have climbed over the insulation to get to the stairs.  Now we have a taller barrier.  

Nyla has really been enjoying school since Zippy the Zebra came.  She begs and cries to do school.  Last night when we came home she was a crying emotional mess.  She told me there were only two things that would make her feel better - nursing or school - and I had to pick one.  I told her I needed more time to decide.  This week she has been asking to nurse a lot and I don't know why.  I'm never going to say yes. 

No comments: