Tuesday, October 7, 2008

NYC

Buddy was supposed to do a blog post on Sunday but claimed he didn't know how. I couldn't do one yesterday because I didn't have internet. We took the train up with Buddy to NYC yesterday. He is attending some sort of conference. To have a conference at a hotel in Times Square seems like a waste of taxpayer dollars. Since they don't share rooms we tagged along.

I had told Bohdin about the train trip last week and he was so excited. He woke up before dawn on Monday morning ready to go. Our train didn't leave quite that early. The train trip was okay from my perspective. It was really bumpy. Sort of like being on a really turbulent airplane for almost 4 hours. It's no surprise that train travel isn't more popular.

By the time we made it to the hotel it was almost 2. Buddy had a meeting at 3. We went out to get some lunch really quick but it took so long. Bohdin was fascinated with everything he saw and could not walk quickly. He wanted to talk about and see everything. It was nearly 3 by the time we got our food and I sent Buddy back with the one dish (we only had enough cash for one meal). I walked with Bohdin and Nyla to Whole Foods to pick up a snack there. Nyla likes munching on raw broccoli so I picked up a few things at the salad bar. That store is so so busy. It was a bit of a frustrating experience.

Buddy wasn't done by the time we came back so we waited in the room. When he was finished it was getting dark outside and we decided to go to Shake Shack for a burger. This is Paul's favorite place so we had to try it. Buddy didn't get an unlimited subway card like I did so he decided to walk the 1.2 miles there while Bohdin and I took the subway. Despite going to the wrong subway station at first we made it there much much faster than him. Nyla fell asleep on the way there so Bohdin played at the playground near there by himself while Buddy waited on our food. It was a good burger.

By the time we came back it was time to get the kids ready for bed. Bohdin is taking a nap right now so we'll be able to stay out a bit later. I'm glad because my shoulders could use a break from carrying Nyla. Bending down to hear what Bohdin has to say while she's on my back is quite a workout. I'm earning these high calorie meals.

Schlepping two kids around is slow hard work so we haven't done much today either. I bought some bras and then we went to FAO Schwarz. That took over 3 hours. Both Bohdin and Nyla are enjoying looking around, especially Bohdin so it's okay that we spend 5 minutes inspecting grates and another 5 minutes watching a guy load bricks in a bucket.

2 comments:

P said...

I'm surprised you didn't like the train, I find it to be much better if you are going a relatively short distance. The seats are much larger, you can charge your laptop, etc. There is much more to look at and you can walk around and get your own food. I am the opposite of you and wish that they had more trains. Plus you don't have to take your shoes off to get on a train.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

See, I'm trying really hard to be nice and not make fun of Budrow for weaseling out of blogging with his feeble "I don't know how" excuse, but the longer you go without posting and leave this at the top, the harder it's going to be.

And yes, I realize I'm the last person in the world who should be giving anyone a hard time about not updating their blog . . .