Friday, October 10, 2008

The perfect trip....for Bohdin

You would think that staying at a hotel that charges many many hundreds of dollars per night would offer free internet access but that is not the case. They charge over $17 per day. When we came back from our trip our internet access wasn't working. Buddy has a magic touch so it works when he touches it. So finally at 8:34 pm I can write a post.

If I could have planned a dream trip for Bohdin to NYC I would have done it almost exactly as we did. We went to three different playgrounds. We ate french fries, popsicles, hamburgers, and pizza. He went to toy stores on 3 different occasions. He rode on the subway numerous times. He could watch an m&m ad on a gigantic screen. Unfortunately a great trip for Bohdin does not make a great one for me. I spent half of my time in NYC in transit. That means keeping track of a 3 year old and carrying a 25 pound wiggly toddler on my back for hours. I spent a quarter of the time in playgrounds or toy stores. I spent the other time getting food. I was able to do one thing for myself which is buying new bras. That took less than one hour. I'm just a bit disappointed because I was expecting more time for myself this trip. My birthday was on Sunday and Buddy said we would do my birthday in NYC (He had forgotten my birthday until I mentioned it at noon). I can't figure out which part was the celebratory part. Every meal was takeout. Many were eaten while standing. Buddy said I had time to myself on Thursday before the train left. I used that time to get the kids food for the train ride. They were starving during the trip so it was completely necessary.

Paul wanted to know what the best meal I had. That's hard to pick. Our first day there we walked to a middle eastern restaurant. I didn't really get to try much of that because I told Buddy to take it with him since he had to rush back to a meeting. That might have been good. The Shake Shack burger was good. Part of mine was a little underdone (I forgot to ask for it well done) but the part that I did eat was tasty. Every meal seemed so rushed it was hard to take the time to enjoy anything. It wasn't the pizza that Nyla mistook for poop.

Nyla had her diaper off at the hotel and ended up pooping on the floor. (We contributed to the filthiness of hotel rooms. Sorry) She pointed out her poop on the carpet. I picked it up with some toilet paper. She then pointed to the pizza she had been eating. I will admit that it also looked like poop to me. It was quite funny. Buddy picked out that meal.

Bohdin really enjoyed the toy stores and found numerous things to add to his birthday wish list. Prior to the trip there was only one thing on there. He liked a lot of the new Playmobil toys. They did look like a lot of fun. He thought the conveyor belt was great. He has been talking about building a conveyor belt from his room to the living room and into his toy box so he wouldn't have to deliver each toy himself. This toy conveyor belt wasn't big enough for that but he still liked the play possibilities of it. He also liked the recycling truck and some of the other trucks.

I saw my first NYC rat. It was in the subway on a platform across from us. Bohdin didn't see it. He was on a litter kick this week and pointed out a lot of the litter we saw. In the subway stations there was a lot that was on the track so over and over I heard about litter. He also thought the peeling paint made it look dirty.

Tuesday morning was a little brisk. Bohdin runs really hot so he went out with a short sleeve shirt and pants. He was also carrying a bag of ice. He likes to eat ice. He was the only person on the streets that wasn't wearing long sleeves. Almost everybody was wearing a jacket. I thought everybody looked kind of drab wearing their dark colors. After a day in khaki pants I realized that it was out of necessity. My pants looked like I had been camping in the woods wearing those same pants every day for two weeks. I'm surprised they came out clean.

Bohdin thinks I've been typing long enough now. It's time to read a book.

Bohdin's favorite part: "Everything"
Bohdin's favorite food: "The popcorn and all of it. The tuna fish."

Bodhin: "There are two different kinds subways. Some are colored and some are not colored. Some are numbers and some are letters." "Limousines are stretched cars" "The circle elevators have some windows. I can look out the window and see how high we are going. When we go up and down it makes my body feel a little bit funny." "I saw those doors that go round and round by themselves that are like spinning doors." "I saw one sign that said don't hold the doors open and one that said no leaning on doors." "One m&m was being a statue. One was climbing on top of a building and going like this [pounding chest]. A red one was on the ground being nothing and he was being with a yellow one. There is supposed to be an orange one also. I saw lots of m&ms like on an m&m tunnel." "We need more tickets to get to the other coaches. I don't like it as much." We walked through the train and had to turn around at business class. Bohdin didn't like that. "I like chasing the birds. I was sneaking up on them and they would fly up on the trees. The ones on the grass, I would try to make them fly but they would fly back on the ground." "I saw a machine that had some pipes up there and it was connected to the big pipe." This was inside the Hershey store. "I remember the cards you use to get through those tolls. The ones at the subway stations."

He's insisting I read again. I'm glad I got his perspective though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a very educational trip to me!

P said...

I forgot to tell you about the game called spot the rat. The first person to spot a rat that day gets a dollar from everyone else playing. I won 2 of 3 days last time I was there.