Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Jinxed myself

Since I was so paranoid in the hospital about further bleeding, the OBGYN said I could call anytime and get checked out. Even two in the morning. It was a nice offer but not one I could take him up on until I had the referral from my primary care manager. I don't know what happened to the request I submitted last week but I couldn't wait another day. I called this morning for an appt and they said they would call me back. Forty minutes later without a phone call I decided I would wait in the office until I had that referral in hand. I needed it for piece of mind.
I've been feeling great. Buddy offered to go with me but it's just down the road. I thought it would be best for him to stay with the kids. I marched into the office. They told me there was no way I could see my doctor because he was completely booked that day. I said I was either leaving with that referral in my hand or in an ambulance. I left in an ambulance.
The receptionists were actually quite nice and helpful. They told me they could take care of everything and I didn't actually need to see my doctor. While they were typing everything up and calling the OBGYN to set up my follow up appointment I started feeling bad. I was hot, sweaty, and weak. This progressed to lightheaded and I told them I needed to lay down for a bit. There was a bench nearby and I laid down. I just needed a bit of rest. They couldn't take my vital signs until the doctor came to see me which he did. I knew it was possible to see him briefly. Full schedule, huh? Anyway he wanted them to call the paramedics just to be on the safe side. I also had them call Buddy. I was too weak to walk into the back room so I just stayed there. The nurses were fretting about what was taking so long. They said they had never seen it take so long. I have. Ironically the same paramedic from Sunday arrived. He recognized us. I was by no means unstable and they had me loaded up fairly quickly. I was feeling much better during the ride so I asked him some questions. I tried to be delicate. It turns out the ambulance was coming from further away than I had assumed. The fire department near us doesn't have the decked out ambulance. That's why it took 10 minutes on Sunday. I also talked to him about the use of the chair. He defended it and also said they were moving fast on Sunday. We must have different definitions of fast.
I was feeling better by the time I arrived at the ER. They were super busy so it took a long time to be seen. All I had was some bloodwork done and a few hours later I was free to go. Everything was fine. I found some comfort in the fact that I was not the one who overreacted but then I realized I haven't overreacted at all during this ordeal and one can easily argue that I have under reacted. Hopefully I have learned my lesson that I need to take it easy. I suppose even if I haven't both Buddy and my mom who is here understand this well and won't let me do anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Gee Whiz