Friday, April 9, 2010

History

Tuesday was homeschool day at the history museum. That meant there were lots of really well behaved kids there doing crafts and workshops. Bohdin was too young for all but one workshop and it wasn't the sort of thing he would be interested in. Maybe in a few years he can come back and do the catapult one. The museum focuses on the history of weapons. I thought it was quite fascinating and I thought the kids would also. Nyla calls herself a knight daily and Bohdin is interested in older weapons as well. It seems they lose their interest when they are not made of plastic. We were able to attend one of the speeches/demonstrations about clothing during the Battle of Hastings. I thought it was fascinating. My world history education consisted of a bored football coach in gym. We played basketball more than learning. The funny or sad perhaps part of that is I had to take it twice. Once in Texas and once in Colorado. The class in Texas was only one semester so I had to retake it. Both classes were taught in the gym by a coach. Neither school had a strong history program.

Nyla was bored and Bohdin became hungry and then very whiny. I didn't have even a moment to glance at most of the exhibits. It was a great museum but I had very poor companions. Maybe they will like it better in a few years. If not I'll go without them someday. We missed the demonstration of a knight getting into full armor because I was not spending any more time there with the kids behaving the way they were. Overall though they did have some fun times. Both Bohdin and Nyla designed battle towers from toothpicks and marshmallows. Nyla's was actually more of a trench. They also both made crowns. Nyla's crown was all pink. She wore it for two days before it died.




Wednesday before we left for the library I saw the chicks getting adventurous and wandering around the yard. They normally stay under the play structure but not that day. There was nothing I could do since the walls are two inches high. When we came back from numerous errands two chicks were gone. I was hoping that they had wandered through the chain link fence into somebody else's yard and would return at dusk but that didn't happen. Most likely a hawk had a good lunch. I spotted one flying very slow deliberate circles around the neighbor's yard later that afternoon. The three remaining chicks must remain inside until I get some sort of protection built for them hopefully this weekend. My to do list is miles long though.

Our shipment of berries arrived on Wednesday also which was a day earlier than expected. After Nyla's nap we rushed to Lowes to pick up some of the things I would need to do the planting. When I reached for the bag of peat moss in the outdoor area I was stung or bitten by something on my hand right between my ring and middle fingers. It hurt like hell. My fingers swelled up first followed by my hand. Luckily it was my left hand because I was having mobility issues. It's been more than 48 hours and my hand is still a little swollen. My fingers look good this morning though.

Strawberries bloom over a very short season and when I ordered the berries I ordered one from each season so we could enjoy strawberries a bit longer. We should be harvesting strawberries for about one month. It seemed like a great idea at the time but now I am left to plant 100 strawberries in addition to the four blueberries and 20 raspberries. I thought the strawberries would be pretty easy but they are actually the hardest. I ordered from a very reputable company so I received very good bare root plants. They are actually a little too good. The instructions state to not bend the strawberry roots when planting but they sent plants with 12 inch roots. Those root ends were bent. I maxed out my holes at about nine inches. I wasn't able to do as many as I had hoped Wednesday evening. I only did 12 actually along with the raspberries. Yesterday I did more and today I need to finish the last 50. I'll be glad when all of this is done.

Here is a picture of our beds on Saturday or Sunday. It doesn't show the raspberry bed or the bean bed we put in later.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

couldn't see pictures.....