Monday, April 26, 2010

Routine

I've started putting together the blog book from last year finally. Reading all the mundane details made me see how much has changed. Nyla is way mellower than she used to be. Bohdin just seems more grown up. He is not really shy anymore. In fact there are times when he talks to other kids too much. When we were at the history museum a few weeks ago he sat in the front next to some girls and talked the entire time. At story time he talks too much to the librarian while she is trying to read. Every week I tell him to wait until story time is over before talking to her but every week he doesn't.

Our routine has changed a lot since last January as well. The kids go to bed pretty late right now with Buddy gone. That's not the way we started out but that is the way we are ending. We bring the chickens in about 9 pm when it is finally dark outside. We tried earlier but it works best for them if we wait until dark. They go into the old bathroom cabinet in the garage. They've been there for about one week now and I love it. After the chickens are in for the night the kids have a snack. We turn off all of the lights downstairs and head upstairs to get ready for bed. Some nights they take a bath, sometimes they play, and sometimes we just read for a long time. For some reason the lights don't usually go out until 11pm. They fall asleep together usually with me in the middle. I've been putting Nyla in the middle some nights because Bohdin kind of kicks to try to feel somebody else in the bed and I don't want him to kick my belly. They wake up between 9 and 10am usually. It's 9:41 right now and they are both still asleep. Nyla won't sleep for very long without me so i stay in bed watching tv, reading, or doing something on the computer. I have also painted Bohdin's room in the morning since it doesn't take long to outline a shape. Theoretically I could be more productive in the morning but Nyla is a light sleeper and I don't want to make much noise. If I wake her up I'll just have to come back to bed and nurse her for hours while she snoozes. The chickens are almost ready to stay outdoors and Buddy will be home soon so our routine will be different in a month.

Bohdin and Nyla have been playing together so much. I love that they have each other. Nyla's most requested game to play with me is catch. Bohdin asks me to play easter. Together they play restaurant with me. The vast majority of the day is spent playing with each other or by themselves. They like to play cushion house in the living room and pillow house upstairs. The majority of the toys are in the basement. Every single day Bohdin plays with his Playmobil toys. We have a ton and he uses them all. Some days there will be robbers trying to steal treasure from the pyramid. He recently had people load up groceries onto the ship for a trip. Right now he has linked the castle and lighthouse for something. Nyla plays with Playmobil as well. She likes putting people on the bus, having me put various hats, capes, and weapons on them. She also likes the hot dog man a lot. I hear her selling hot dogs often. She also likes the animals and groceries. Nyla is a bit more balanced in her toy selection. She plays with trains frequently as well as her babies.

Nyla is waking up and wants juice now. She is a juice guzzler. Bohdin's preferred drink is water. For a while Nyla was eating at least one banana per day but that has slowed down. She is really into chocolate sandwiches. I buy a dark chocolate peanut butter mix that she can consume in about a week. They were out last time we went to the store but next time I'll just go ahead and stock up on a few containers. Bohdin doesn't care for it as much. If he is going to have bread he would prefer the spreadable swiss cheese on it.

I should also mention that Bohdin had a really tough time with that shot. Yesterday was the first day he had full movement back in his leg. He was hobbling and limping around for the past several days. Nyla recovered the day after. She woke up in the morning with pain and stiffness but it as gone by noon. Bohdin even agreed to two doses of pain medicine even though he despises the stuff. Last week we ran into the glass sliding door in the basement really hard. He bounced off of it and fell onto the pavement. He scraped his elbow and cut his lip. The next day his jammies were stuck to his elbow. He was able to peel it off but it looked terribly painful. The aftereffects of the shot was a hundred times worse than that.

Bohdin is awake now and Nyla is about ready to get that juice herself. She is tired of waiting. We have a side by side refrigerator so it is really to high for her to reach.

No comments: