Monday, April 19, 2010

Thunder

Saturday was Thunder Over Louisville which is supposedly the largest annual fireworks display in America. I've seen it before and it is spectacular. That's why I decided to drag two kids by myself into the crowd and traffic mess that would ensue. The Red Cross in Indiana had a special military tent with good seating, food, etc. Buddy made reservations and I decided it might be nice to at least try the Indiana side instead of the much busier Kentucky side. The air show started at 3 and we arrived around 7 which is 2.5 hours prior to the fireworks. It took forever to actually find the tent since the exact location was not disclosed. When I arrived they were taking the tent down. I was pissed. This wasn't the reserved seating for the fireworks that was advertised. In fact the location had no view of anything really because it was tucked into a side street. We were stuck on the Indiana side with a blocked view of the fireworks. The kids were not up for more walking or driving somewhere else so we just did the best we could. I found a spot next to two little girls. It was just a few minutes before the eldest girl and Bohdin were playing together. That part worked out awesome. Bohdin had a blast with her. It was interesting watching the interaction because she had an exuberant bossy personality. She touched Bohdin a lot which he generally doesn't like. He didn't say anything about that but he did address the bossiness sometimes. It was a great way to pass the time before the fireworks. Nyla either blew the bubbles I brought or just sat in my lap. It was much more relaxing than I thought it would be. The fireworks were delayed 18 minutes due to computer problems but I hardly noticed. The fireworks were great. They do duplicate fireworks simultaneously and we only had a clear view of one of them. We could mostly see the bridge where they did additional fireworks but we were rather far so we didn't get the full effect. The upside of that is that it wasn't too loud for Nyla. I was concerned about that since she complained about the fireworks at Disney World. Bohdin liked the show and already talks about going back next year. We'll do it even though the traffic afterward was as horrendous as expected. We didn't get back until just before midnight since it took nearly an hour to drive the two miles to the interstate on ramp. It was the worst traffic I have ever experienced and I've seen some doozies including gridlock in NYC once. Our other issue was peeing. We had seven instances of public urination between the three of us. I don't think port a potties were designed to hold three people and the lines for the port a potties were way too long to think about proving that true.




Bohdin and I planted more seeds today. The melons, cucumbers, corn, and winter squash are in the ground. We'll do the herbs and some flowers before Buddy gets back but other than that planting is done. In May we'll do a second crop of beans and corn. We'll also plant the tomato and pepper seedlings.




Buddy says this is not an interesting picture but it is to me. Yesterday there was nothing there but now there are seeds and I put the mulch around which I'm proud of. I had to take it from this angle since the rest of the bed is not mulched.



Nyla woke up from her nap yesterday and Bohdin walked in with a sucker in his mouth. Nyla immediately wanted one so he found one for her. When he came back up he asked her which one she wanted. The opened one that he had been sucking on or the unopened one. To entice her he said "This one is smaller so you won't have to suck so much". She still decided to go for the unopened one.

I've been working on Bohdin's quilt. It is going to be a series of 12 inch blocks. Some of them are quite bold and not at all to my taste. Bohdin picked out all of the fabric and he has been decided which ones should go together. When I mentioned that I'm not sure if I like all of the blocks so far he said "It's not about the maker likes. It's about what the person who gets it likes." That is certainly true but I made sure he wasn't around when I was cutting the fabric for the blocks today. I think they came out much better. Still colorful but not ugly. He likes these ones fine also.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

P said...

you should try the fireworks in NYC for the 4th of July. the whole show was like the grand finale in other firework shows.

Helen said...

The one here is supposed to be bigger. I don't know who does the measuring or how. You'll have to come some time so you can compare. This fireworks show definitely ruined every other fireworks show for me. They seem so puny in comparison.

P said...

sounds like my self-proclaimed "world-famous" hamburger. Dug this up:
Lousiville = 60 tons of fireworks, NYC = 22 tons of fireworks

Lousiville = 56,215 shells
NYC = 40,000 shells

Sounds like Louisville is the biggest to me too. Is it the same date ever year?

Helen said...

It's two weeks before Derby. They may change it if Easter interferes but I'm not positive.