Friday, June 24, 2011

Nap Strike

Cora normally takes two naps per day but not this week. Monday she took her morning nap but would not go to sleep the rest of the afternoon despite repeated attempts. Her second nap had been moving further and further into late afternoon so I thought she might be ready for one longer nap in the middle of the day. Tuesday morning I was able to accomplish so much with Cora's delayed nap. I put her down to sleep about the noon which is around the time she usually wakes up. She had no trouble going to sleep but she had a really short nap. She was pretty tired by evening and went to bed a little early. Wednesday we went to story time for the first time in a long time. We stopped going when it interfered with Cora's nap. This time she went to sleep even later because between story time and walking to the Walmart next door for groceries it was close to one. Cora didn't fall asleep in the car so when we came home I put Bohdin in charge of lunch and took Cora upstairs. She feel asleep but woke up a short time later and refused to go back to sleep. It is quite common for her to wake up multiple times during her nap but fall back asleep. I tried to get her to take a later nap but she refused. She didn't even go to bed early that night. Yesterday was a really busy day. In the morning was dentist appointments. Cora fell asleep on the way home but wouldn't go back to sleep when we came home. In the afternoon we attended a library program about owls which Bohdin and I liked. One of the owls wouldn't stopping hooting which was neat at first. Cora again fell asleep on the way home. This time she did fall back asleep after being carried inside but didn't stay asleep for very long. By the time we made it Bohdin's soccer practice she was exhausted. She was in an awful mood but playing in the water fountain kept her occupied until practice was over. She screamed on the way home. She was so tired but just wouldn't sleep. It was like traveling with newborn Cora all over again. I hope today she will finally have a longer nap. She just woke up and already she seems tired and grumpy.

Bohdin's enjoyment of audio books has increased over the past several months. He has listened to a wide variety of stories that I never would have had the time to read. One of the latest checkouts was Castle in the Attic which came in a pouch with the book. Bohdin listened to it on the way to soccer practice and a bit on the way home before the screaming started. As soon as we arrived home he started listening to it. He sat there and listened to the whole thing which is over four hours long. By the time it was over it was past time for bed. This morning he woke up early and started the book over again. I thought that these audio books would make him not want to read anything himself but in the past week he has been choosing to read books. He read one on the way to the dentist yesterday and read some on the way home from the library. It's good to see his reluctance for reading is disappearing.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: