Monday, October 31, 2011

Leaves



Tuesday we had our last warm day for many months. It was in the mid70s so I made the kids go outside and enjoy it. Bohdin and Nyla made a leaf pile and buried things in there.







By Friday it was much cooler and our first frost was predicted. We bundled up and went outside to harvest the last of the tomatoes and basil.





Friday evening I took Nyla to the neighborhood Halloween event. Bohdin stayed home because he was feeling sick and I left Cora home so I wouldn't have to carry her. Nyla dressed as a monkey but I forgot to take a picture. Saturday we went to the library book sale and found lots of great books. The kids books were only 50 cents each so we bought 51 hard back books. Some of the books I had checked out in the past year. I didn't do enough to save them. Afterward we went to a Halloween festival in another part of town. It sounded like it would be a lot of fun for the kids and thousands of people had the same thought. The line for trick or treating was crazy long so I convinced the kids to skip it. Later I found out that it is best to arrive one hour early to get a spot. That's not going to happen. There were other things there like an animal petting area and bouncy things. Cora gets excited by animals so I wanted to get her in there. She mostly just wanted to see the animals and point at them instead of touching them. She was too little to do any of the bouncy things but Bohdin and Nyla had fun on them. The lines for everything besides the trick or treating weren't too bad. They did come away with a little bit of candy after doing some games. I don't think we'll go back again next year.



Yesterday the library book sale reduced prices to $10 per box. After Cora fell asleep I thought I would sneak out myself and go but Bohdin and Nyla wanted to come. It was great that they came because they were both extremely useful. While I was looking at the adult books Bohdin went through the kid books. Nyla guarded our box. I went over Bohdin's choices and was surprised. He picked only nonfiction books which he preferred on a range of topics. There was a lot of history which I expected but then there were some odd choices like the book on colon cancer. Since there was room in the box I let him keep that but I vetoed the guide to writing essays for high schoolers. I don't know where we can store all of these books yet.

After the book sale we headed to the science museum. We originally planned to pick up Cora and bring her but we spent too much time at the book sale and had to leave her at home. The science museum had some special Halloween stuff the kids wanted to see. Bohdin's favorite was making bubbles with carbon dioxide. It was really neat and I wished I had the camera for that. Nyla liked it when they electrocuted a pickle. There were several other fun things to do and it was really nice not to have to deal with Cora during that time. Nyla was sad that Cora wasn't with us because she wanted to play with her. We'll take her back again another time soon.

The other night I asked Nyla what she wanted to be when she grew up. She responded "A fairy. No. A doctor ... on a bicycle."
Posted by Picasa

No comments: