Friday, March 27, 2009

Regret

I counted Bohdin's change yesterday and he had enough money for two mystery cars. He had bought a Hot Wheels/Matchbox mystery car on our previous visit and wanted to get more. Before going to ToysRUs we went to Brooklyn to meet somebody I know. As we were waiting for her eldest daughter to get out of school, Bohdin noticed the ice cream van parked outside. It was kind of cold and misty out but that wasn't going to stop Bohdin. I told him I wouldn't buy him an ice cream cone but he could use his mystery car money to get one. He agreed and bought a small two dollar ice cream cone covered in sprinkles. After leaving my friend's house we walked past the school again to the subway stop. Bohdin started crying loudly. He wanted to return the ice cream and get the mystery cars instead. Even this morning he is still so sad. It's hard to let him live with the consequences of this decision. I'm the one who suggested he use his money to buy an ice cream cone. I didn't try to talk him through the decision to make sure it was what he really wanted. To appease my conscious, we'll buy him two mystery cars and put it in his Easter basket.

On the subway ride back I was talking to him about regret. People often make decisions they wish they could take back. I didn't realize I would make one myself so quickly. Before leaving my friend's house I had Bohdin pee. Bathrooms can be hard to come by around here. I didn't take my own advice and right around the time Bohdin started feeling regret about his spending decision I was regretting not using the bathroom myself. By the time we got off the subway I needed to pee so bad I was seriously contemplating finding an alcove and peeing on the ground. I had to pee that bad. Bohdin was a trooper and quickly followed my blind quest for a bathroom. I walked into a hotel and found relief.

My friend's daughter V- is a few months younger than Bohdin. He played mostly by himself while we were there. Nyla was all over the place. At one point I found her in the room with the other girls, just hanging out. Bohdin and V- didn't speak until they watched Harold and the Purple Crayon together.

V- Why are you wearing mittens?
Bohdin - They are not mittens. They are gloves.
V- Why are you wearing gloves?

V- He has eyebrows on his eyes.
Bohdin - His eyebrows are above his eyes.

Bohdin is such a stickler for precision. I can't imagine he'll be very popular if he's always correcting people. Maybe he could be a teacher if he could tone down the attitude in his voice as he corrects someone.

Bohdin has good observation skills. One time he noticed that I had boarded the wrong train. I had just assumed it was the right train. Yesterday he was preoccupied but did a better job counting stops than me. I didn't argue with him about his miscounting on the train yesterday and good thing because it turns out that I was the one who was wrong. Bohdin also loves to sort and organize things. When I get around to it, I'll teach him spelling with pattern recognition. He hasn't asked to learn spelling in a while so that has fallen further down the to do list.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Oh, look! I hadn't visited your blog since just after you left our house that day. How fun that you recorded some of the events. I am so bad about remembering things - I came here tonight to see what you've been up to and also try to remember how long ago you were here. We had such fun seeing you and your beautiful children. Molly was just talking about your family earlier today when we got ice cream after school. They have quite a racket going with those $2 cones, don't they?