Thursday, May 14, 2009

Tired

I've been trying to attend more events this week in another effort to find a playmate for Bohdin. On Tuesday we went to the children's museum in Annapolis. That morning they had a craft time for homeschooled kids Bohdin's age. There weren't that many kids there and nobody looked promising. Bohdin and Nyla both enjoyed doing the craft and then playing upstairs in the museum. The museum looks like a house that has been turned into a giant playroom. There is a room with costumes, a room with a play kitchen and grocery stuff, some aquariums, a train table, blocks, and that sort of thing. They also had a small replica of a boat and dock. There were some boys about 5 years old playing on the boat. They left to do something else so Nyla tried to climb on the boat. One of the boys came over, poked Nyla in the chest and told her to go away. She was pretty surprised and a little leery of the boat after that. After Bohdin played with the train table and some other vehicles for a while we went into the doll/kitchen/grocery room. Nyla immediately spotted two dolls in car seat carriers. She grabbed both and moved them to the other side of the room. She decided she was going to put them in the shopping basket and grabbed the shopping basket. While she did, two older girls (about 5 again), grabbed the dolls she was playing with. Actually one girl grabbed one and told the other girl to get the other. She didn't want to and that gave Nyla a chance to reclaim one of the dolls. Bohdin was busy putting all of the fruit and vegetables into his shopping cart. We ended staying there for about 1.5 hours. I told Bohdin that we would come back sometime. Both the kids enjoyed it

Afterward we stopped at the new Whole Foods that opened in Annapolis. It is by far the largest one in the state although I think there are only 3 so it's not stiff competition. It was pretty nice, not huge by regular standards but huge by Maryland standards. There is now parking, lighting, and room for a shopping cart inside the store. I don't know how often we'll go but I won't go out of my way to avoid it like the previous cave location. They had gelato on sale so I decided to get some. Bohdin picked blood orange but I wanted a different one. I grabbed one for "Nyla" and then checked to make sure it was on sale since only selected flavors had a lower price. I told Bohdin what I was doing and he told Nyla "If something is not on sale that means we can't buy it."

Pregnancy symptoms finally appeared on Tuesday and I was exhausted in the afternoon. Nyla had a really short nap so I didn't have my usual break. I had to take a break in the middle of cooking dinner so I could lay down. When I told Bohdin I was really tired he thought I should lay down and have a rest. He played quietly while I tried to get some sleep. I think I did manage about 5 minutes between Nyla coming to check on me by crawling on me and saying "shh". I assume she was also signing sleep but opening my eyes to check would have blown my cover. I didn't feel so tired on Wednesday or today luckily.

On Wednesday I had planned to take Bohdin to the Smithsonian Environmental Research Center south of here. I called in the morning to make sure Nyla could tag along but the two classes were already filled. Maybe next month.

Today was the second to last story time at the library before summer hiatus. I wish they did it more often. The demand is there. I counted 40 kids without trying hard. Bohdin took his position in the front while Nyla stayed with me on the side. once the stories started two girls, about 4, started acting up in front of Nyla and me. They were rolling around the floor and talking. Nyla immediately latched on to the fun girls and joined them. The mothers talked to the girls so the antics became a little quieter. One layed on her belly with her chin resting in her hand. Nyla layed down next to her and copied. I glanced up at Bohdin and he is standing up amid the sea of seated kids with his hand down his pants touching his butt. Not my proudest moment as a parent.

I can't just end on that so I'll mention all the hugs I've been receiving. Last Mother's Day I asked Bohdin for a hug. He declined because he wasn't sad. The past couple of days he has been offering lots of hugs. I'll take every one I can get.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Curious if the mothers of those "darlings" at the children's museum had anything to say to them about the rudeness of their behavior....but guess that would be too much to hope for.

Cap'n Neurotic said...

I'd say you should consider yourself lucky that Bohdin just had his hands down the *back* of his pant . . .

Coree said...

I love the way you talk about things. I laughed out loud about Bohdin standing with his hand down the back of his pants!