Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Meeting

Buddy had a four day weekend and we headed to Arkansas for a shareholder meeting and family reunion. My half sister Eva and aunt both came from Europe. I saw my aunt briefly during my honeymoon but I haven't seen Eva since I was 15. The drive there was brutal. Cora doesn't car to be in the car for long periods and three hours in she was completely done. Prior to leaving we put one of the back seats down and set up a bed back there. She and I lay down together and she eventually fell asleep. The first night we made it to just past Memphis. The next day we thought it would be a relatively easy drive but there was a massive backup on I-40. After almost two hours we turned around and found an alternate route. Nyla has finally reached an age where she is okay in the car. The borrowed dvd players helped immensely though. It took much longer than expected but we made it to Ft Smith and then headed to dinner at my dad's house. I forgot the camera the first night. There were group shots taken but I don't have any of them yet. We went out again the following night and Buddy took a few pictures. Niether my aunt or Eva speak much English. I speak even less Slovak but I can still understand a little bit. That made it difficult to communicate. I should have tried harder.

I skipped out on the shareholder meeting and took the kids back to the hotel for a nap instead. Buddy went as my proxy. It was a long meeting and I don't think the kids would have had much fun. They might have even made the meeting longer. Riah, my kids 10 month old cousin, went and Drucilla said she had to leave often. Nyla napped while everybody was gone but Bohdin just bugged me asking to go to the pool. He had already been swimming that morning but couldn't wait to get back in. When Nyla woke up we all went down and Bohdin played in the pool by himself while we watched. He spent as much time as he could in that pool. The day we left Paul and Bohdin were in the pool for about an hour racing back and forth.

Our drive back was uneventful. I've given up keeping Cora in her seat so all went well. We drove through Missouri this time. Cora lasted in her seat about 10 minutes yesterday before starting to cry. I held her in the back seat and she slept the entire way home. It's illegal but I cannot listen to her cry for very long. It made everybody happier. None of us like seeing her so upset.

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Karey said...

I don't blame you at all for forgetting the car seat! Lincoln was the same way. It was just something I had to do to maintain my sanity ;)

Helen said...

There must be more babies that hate the car than love it. Bohdin and Nyla had to tough it out but I can't stand to hear Cora cry. She is also the worst of the three in the car so that might have something to do with it.

Anonymous said...

1) A person is 25 times more likely to die when thrown from a vehicle.
2)Children are often killed by being crushed by unrestrained adults.
3)Over 80% of child fatalities in auto accidents would have been prevented by the proper use of seat belts or car seats.

This is an accident at only 35 mph-is it really worth it??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giYQE1Hskjc

Helen said...

I appreciate the concern. You'll be glad to know that now that we are home she is safely back in her seat where she belongs. We still have the danger of being harmed by unrestrained objects in a crash though. Minivans and SUVs are just not as safe in that regard. I do miss my separate trunk.