Monday, October 4, 2010

Bohdin

Buddy introduced Bohdin to computer games which he will play way too much. During the weekdays I don't want him playing at all. His job is schoolwork and playing with things that don't involve screens. When I came down with my new laptop to kick him off the computer he asked me why I could be on the computer and he couldn't. I pulled out the book I had made from the blogposts when he was three and read several entries to him. He enjoyed hearing it. I told him I needed to write down what five year old Bohdin is like. He wants me to write that he likes popcorn.

I'm continuing with schoolwork on weekday mornings. This morning he practiced the letter G, spelled eleven words, and did two pages of math. It was a page with subtraction and the first problem was [ ] = 9-2. I completely misread it and waited for him to answer 11. When he said 7 I told him to try again. He said "Didn't you say 9-2?". Oops. Our study of Japan and India have fizzled out probably partly because we were doing them at the same time. The other problem is that we didn't find engaging books like we had for China. We read a ton of only fair books. Last week at storytime I decided to do a little about Iran and Iraq since they are in the news so much. I picked up a few books and we have one definite winner. It is the Stories From the Arabian Nights. He was loved them so far. This morning we read Sinbad the Sailor which was really entertaining. Since I've kicked him off the computer Bohdin is sort of recreating Alladin and Ali Babba. He's filled up a cave with treasure. I'm not sure what will happen next because organizing the treasure is actually his favorite part.

I was looking through Bohdin's math textbook on Saturday and asked him what 43+20 equals. He was able to figure out the correct answer easily using his blocks. This morning he explained how he figured out that 60+60 equals 120. I'm really impressed with his grasp of math especially since I haven't taught him a thing.

On Friday we went to a class on the solar system taught by a homeschooled teenager. I thought it would be interesting for him and also get him in a situation where he is among the youngest. It didn't work out that well. The teenager teaching the class is very knowledgeable but was unable to keep the subject appropriate for an elementary audience. It was college level stuff and I found it fascinating. Bohdin was tired and combined with his young age it was awful. He was squirmy and couldn't even pretend to pay attention. I brought Nyla a blank notebook and crayons which kept her occupied.

Bohdin has another loose tooth. I noticed the other day that his other bottom tooth seemed a bit skewed so I asked to feel it. By Halloween he will be missing four front teeth.

We have no more chickens. Our last two died a grisly death. We suck at keeping chickens alive but are very good at feeding the local wildlife. Something broke into the chicken coop and found dinner. Maybe we'll try again next year.

2 comments:

Karey said...

That's what I love about your blog - You're so good at recording the day to day things that are so fun for kids to look back on. I need to do more of that!

Unknown said...

Sorry about the chickens. :( May I ask what kind of blocks you are using? I was looking at Tree Blocks today and may get some for Christmas. Thanks!