Thursday, October 14, 2010

Sigh

Bohdin has acquired the very annoying habit of loudly sighing to express displeasure. He most likely got it from me but I am positive that my sighs are not so loud or frequent. Too many times per day I hear a loud "ugghh" in reply to a question.

I wouldn't have mentioned this if Bohdin hadn't found it so important. The other day at playgroup Gavin wasn't there so Bohdin and Nyla played with each other. There were lots of other kids there but Bohdin wasn't that interested. He did meet a boy who just turned six that I hope he spends more time with. Anyway Bohdin and Nyla were playing hide and seek. After they had played a few rounds I guess Nyla was done but Bohdin was not. He started counting for Nyla to hide but she didn't want to. He counted to 313 before I made him stop so we could leave. It was a nonevent to me but Bohdin has mentioned it several times and wants me to call Gavin to tell him also.

We've been reading a lot of stories set in Iraq and Iran. This is the best region for stories so far. They've been great. Bohdin has been playing a computer game that has uranium in it and he has been very interested in it. Yesterday we were discussing uranium and nuclear weapons after reading a book. I told him that Iran is trying to get nuclear weapons. His response was "uh-oh". We had a discussion about nuclear weapons that seemed odd to have with a five year old. There is no way he can truly comprehend what they are at this age. All of this talk of uranium has helped him settle on a costume though. He will be a uranium miner for Halloween. Sort of. He'll be wearing a radiation suit. They don't wear those suits to actually mine the uranium but they probably do at some point in the enrichment process. I think it would be weird for him to tell people that he is dressed as a uranium enricher.

One of the books about Iraq was set during the early 2000s. The book mentioned having bombs dropped on various buildings in the city. The next day Bohdin was holding a small airplane and was pretending to drop bombs on a city like we had read about. I had an immediate negative reaction to hearing this. It seemed wrong and insensitive. Maybe I have guilt about the Iraq war. I wouldn't have had this reaction if he were recreating Rome vs Carthage. That would have been cool. The Civil War may have been okay but the Iraq war is a huge no for me.

 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

isn't she sweet!


and I can watch wwII and Korean war movies, but those on the VietNam war and Iraq are still hard, if not impossible.