Paul scheduled a playdate with his friend's 2.5 year old daughter for the evening. I didn't think it would go well. I thought he would probably ignore her or maybe silently acknowledge her existence. This is the boy who last week wanted me to ask kids to play with him. He used body language to try to communicate with the kids he would play with. Sometimes after an hour he would say a few words. When the little girl showed up, Bohdin talked to her. We went to the playground together where some other kids were playing. While this little girl was on a swing, Bohdin was filling up a cardboard car with woodchips. A girl and boy approached him and asked if they could help. Bohdin said okay. Normally he would nod or just give a look and a grunt. He then went on playing with the girl. They piled wood chips on the slide and took turns going down the slide. Bohdin asked the girl how old she was and answered six. Bohdin told her he was 3 and to watch how fast he could run and then counted for her. It was remarkable because it is so unlike him to talk to strangers. He was a different boy. I wonder if playing with Tyken helped loosen him up. Tyken is the first kid that he can have a strong peer relationship with. He's been testing boundaries with him, suggesting things to do together, taking turns. All of the things he needs so much at this age. It's much better for him to test physical boundaries with a 3 year old boy than a 12 month old sister.
I don't know how much of this comfort with others he can take back home with him. We go to the playground pretty often there but the kids are different there in a way I can't define. It doesn't seem fair to say they are less friendly but that is almost how they come across. Nyla just woke up. It will be another day of chasing her up the stairs. Bohdin wants to go out and pick vegetable so I'll go help him open the door now.

1 comment:
my mantle is missing someone's first birthday photo.........
Post a Comment