Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Still nothing

The aircard internet connection we ordered didn't work out so we're still witout internet or rather I'm without internet. Buddy still has internet at work and the internet connection works outside at night but only sporadically during the day. I've been affected by this more so. Someday we'll get a connection again and I can post regularly.

Buddy left for West Virginia yesterday and will be back on Friday. On Sunday he flies to Syracuse. I'm getting left behind in our summer travel plans. I haven't been anywhere. Part of that is because I'm the researcher and without the internet I can't really find a place for us to go. The other part is that Buddy has been gone quite a bit. We can't go anywhere this weekend since he'll be between travel. Last weekend he was sick and the weekend before that was too hot. I have been able to do a bit of sewing and reading though since I can't be online. I'll post some pictures when I can.

A few days ago Bohdin decided to finish his workbook that Paul bought for him. It required him to circle the pictures on the page that began with a certain letter sound. I was surprised that he was able to do this. He would just say "mmm moon yes" or "mmm ball no". Now I have to find him some new workbooks. When I get internet time again that is one of the first things I'll look into.

Bohdin is also doing better with simple math. He can only do it in a practical sense. If I asked him what 4-2 equals he wouldn't know. When we were making banana bread together yesterday he knew that after we put in 2 of the 4 cups of flour we needed 2 more. That's the kind of math he is capable of but I think it's important. When I was substituting the fourth graders would look at word math problems like they were written in Chinese.

Bohdin won't be going to preschool this year or probably ever. It's a very competitive market out here and Bohdin wouldn't interview well. Not only that I don't want to shell out $10,000. It's insanely expensive here. There are some free or low cost ones but we don't qualify. I may get together with some other moms and do a homeschool preschool type of thing. I've mentioned to a few people that Buddy wants to homeschool Bohdin. I'm pretty much on board with this idea. If that were the case we would start him with a kindergarten curriculum next fall when he's almost 5. If he went to a regular public school he would have to wait another year. Homeschooling is not an easy decision to make or it doesn't feel that way to me. I don't know if Bohdin would ever be able to make the switch to a regular school if we start on this path. He's not going to be tall and he doesn't have an outgoing personality. I think he would have a hard time fitting in. School can be tons of fun if you're popular but if you don't fit in then school can be lonely or even hell.

My mom asked the other day if Nyla is just as curious as Bohdin was at this age. I said yes but in a different way. When I talked to Buddy about it later he said that Bohdin wanted to know what things are while Nyla wants to know how things work. I'm not sure I 100% agree with this assessment. I know that Nyla is interested in what other people are interested in. She studies human behavior. When we were at the playground the other day Nyla walked over to the group of 5-8 year olds who had congregated on some of the play equipment. She just put herself in the middle of all of them. Later she tried to recreate some of things they had done. She was very mad at me that I wouldn't let her climb down the chain. Bohdin was off playing by himself on a different play structure. He prefers to stay away from large groups.

All of Nyla's copying comes with the comprehension of a one year old. She throws things in the toilet that don't belong. She throws things in the trash that don't belong. She is getting better at turning the pages of a book without ripping them. She has eaten everything she is not old enough to have yet. She won't drink out a sippy cup, she prefers Bohdin's sport bottle. In some ways she's less of a baby than Bohdin since he didn't have an older sibling to learn from. In other ways she's a typical toddler. She drops food from her chair. She is fascinated by taking things out. I had forgotten what a messy age this is. I spend an enormous amount of time cleaning and I can't keep up.

Nyla is awake now so I'll go outside and see if I can get a connection and post this message.

1 comment:

P said...

I haven't been around Nyla that much but with Bohdin, he takes a really long time to warm up to people. He is very distrusting but I think he can be very successful in school if he has a good group of friends. I hate to say it, but if he moves around a lot, it is going to worsen the problem.