Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Unpacking

Nyla will be a Broncos fan until she says otherwise
 

Playing in the laundry basket
 

The flights are so overbooked I've given up. When a flight looks promising, the 50 people who paid to be on an earlier flight but didn't make up inevitably get the seat. There is no room for nonpaying customers flying to Denver. Perhaps we'll try again in September.

Yesterday morning when Nyla woke up she farted. Bohdin thought this was funny so he farted. Nyla farted again. I'm glad Bohdin didn't pee his pants from laughing so hard. It must be something on the Y chromosome. I'm a girl so I just don't get it.

Our new washing machine arrived yesterday. Our landlady took delivery while I was out at the library. As a result, she locked up afterwards. We have two locks on our door requiring two different keys. I have one of the keys. We get back a little late for Nyla's nap with a bag full of cold groceries and stand outside the door. I called Buddy hoping he would have the other key. He had called earlier and left me a message to check my messages before I got home since I would be locked out. Well too late for me. He met me halfway and handed me the key. Nyla almost fell asleep in the car but woke up completely when I took her out. She didn't go to sleep until 7:30 pm. She was so tired and grouchy. Bohdin didn't take a nap either so he was more emotional than usual.

I'm way behind on library books. I can't really remember some of these. We get several books from the library and read them all once. Then he'll ask for the ones he likes over and over and over again. I've read How to Catch and Elephant about 100 times now.
Cowboy bunnies by Christine Loomis
Busy, busy mouse by Virginia Kroll
Pirates ahoy! / Hilary McKay - Bohdin loved this book about two little boys engaging in imaginative play in their grandma's backyard. The illustrations show what is really there but the words describe it from the boys' point of view. They battle lions (sunflowers) and dragons (bushes) with swords (rhubarb). At one point they stopped fighting dragons because they ran out of rhubarb swords. Bohdin said they should get some seeds and plant them so they could have more. It was a good book.
Rush hour / Christine Loomis
Pumpkin day, pumpkin night / by Anne Rockwell
Whose garden is it? / Mary Ann Hoberman - I liked this book better than Bohdin. It showed all of the things that help to create a garden from the seeds and the sun to the worms.
I'm Not Cute by - Okay book
How to Catch an Elephant by - Bohdin loves this book and so do I. It is a whimsical tale of a little girl catching an elephant. It's a fun read and unlike many books out there which try to teach lessons or relate to kids. This book is just plain fun. I would recommend this one. It doesn't have any quotation marks so no need to change voices.
I Want A Pet by Lauren Child - okay book
Swimmy by Leo Lionni - Bohdin liked this book okay about a black fish who goes exploring and comes up with an idea to help other small fish work together.
The Conquerors by David McKee - I liked this book but the message was way over Bohdin's head. Maybe when he's in elementary shcool.
Baby Bear's Chrairs by Jane Yolen - Unremarkable book. I think we've only read it once.
Pigs, Pigs, Pigs! by Leslea Newman - Another unremarkable book.
Dig! by Andrea Zimmerman - Bohdin really enjoyed this one. It reminds me a lot of the trash book by the same author which Bohdin also loved.
This is the Pumpkin by Abby Levine - highly repetitive Halloween book. The kind of book that repeats what was on the previous page so by the end you've read the beginning of the book 10 times. I cringed when Bohdin would request this one.
If the Dinosaurs Came Back by Bernard Most - Bohdin isn't really into dinosaurs
Pig On A Swing by Jenny Nimmo - Bohdin liked this book about a boy imagining different animals to play with at an empty playground.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: