Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Taboo

Nyla woke up fussy on Monday and continued throughout the day which made it impossible to pack. We were going to leave Tuesday morning but I couldn't get my stuff together in time. Now 24 hours later I still don't have everything quite together. At Paul's house I have to lock her in the same room with me so she doesn't try to wander down the stairs. She is capable of going down safely but sometimes she thinks she can hold on to the railing and walk down. She can't. Nyla is an anti-packer. It's the age. One of her favorite things in the world now is to empty. Her other favorite thing is to walk and explore. We went to the store and she was able to stand in the basket despite being buckled in. I didn't realize those buckles only work on kids who want to stay in the basket. Nyla has the determination and strength to wiggle out of it. She doesn't understand that she can't walk around like Bohdin. He is old enough to realize that one must stay in the general vicinity. I remember what a tough time this was for Bohdin as well. We won't be doing much shopping together until this stage is over.

Since we didn't make it out this morning we went to the Berry Patch Farm relatively close to Paul's house. We met up with three other moms. Nyla did her squeal when she saw the pig. She walked quite near it and then sat down. Later the pig kissed her but she didn't like that. She also squealed for the chickens. Bohdin did a good job picking strawberries and he is actually the only one who put strawberries in the container. Nyla and I just picked them and ate them. It's a wonderful farm and they do allow this. We ended up spending 80 cents on strawberries. I also bought some freshly roasted chiles because you just can't buy that in Maryland and who can pass up the amazing smell.

 

 

 

I saw the end of a program on Discovery Health a few weeks ago called Taboo. The last segment they aired was about extended breastfeeding. They showed a mom breastfeeding her 5 year old. I was surprised it was part of the program but on further reflection I sort of see the point. Extended breastfeeding is really really rare in this country. Very few people see older children being breastfed so it's not part of our usual world. Paul asked me the other day if I still breastfeed Bohdin. I do. I don't know when he'll stop. Either when I'm done or he's done. I hope it's when he's done but we'll see. I don't advertise this fact. Many of my mom friends in Colorado know but that is because I'm lucky enough to be part of a group where that is more common and probably more accepted. I'll admit that it can look weird to see an older child nursing but I assure you it is not. I'm not sure why I wrote this but there it is.

I can't end on that so I'll mention some Nyla stuff. I tried to post this a while ago but it was deleted. Prior to coming to Colorado, Nyla was becoming a handful. She loves to climb on stuff and Bohdin's stool is irresistible. I don't like her climbing on it since it has 2 steps and she could easily fall on the hard tile floor. She has also discovered how to unfasten the child locks on the cabinets. One day she opened a drawer and took out the aluminum foil and unrolled it twice. She also bit two holes in my saran wrap. Now I have two teeth marks every few inches. She is becoming such a handful.

I also forgot to mention that our old neighbor moved out. I ran into her in the hallway and apologized that we were too loud or something. She said that's not why she was leaving. She also said that she never complained about the noise. That's not what was told to our landlord and the HOA. So now we have a new neighbor. This is number 3. I've already met her. She is 2 months pregnant and very sweetly came up the evening we were packing to ask us to be quieter so she could take a nap. She seems really nice. I wish the units were built better.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: