Friday, March 26, 2010

Sensitive

Wednesday was a beautiful day and rain was forecasted for the next day so we went to the playground about 6pm. After pushing Nyla in the swing forever we went to play boat with Bohdin on on of the play structures. Two boys arrived at the playground and I thought that would be great for Bohdin. Unfortunately the older of the two (he was six) climbed up where we were and took over the steering wheel Bohdin had been using. He talked loudly about his pirate ship. The younger boy (4 years old) was standing right next to Nyla and I yelling and pulling up on the swing next to us. Nyla was terrified and Bohdin was sad. We went to a different play structure for a while but then I took Nyla to the baby swing since the boys seemed to be following us. There is a large metal slide at the playground. The older boy was sliding also and it seemed fine but then he started racing Bohdin back to the stairs. This kid was bigger, faster, and more competitive than Bohdin so he won every time. Bohdin says for every one turn he had the other boy had two. It made him sad and he started crying. Bohdin was with the wrong parent for sympathy and he left the playground in tears. The other mom took her son home as well after reprimanding him.

Painting the guest bedroom has Bohdin and Nyla wanting to paint their rooms again. I think it is a project I will tackle in the next month. Bohdin decided he wants a purple room with rainbow shapes. I think his idea is very creative. Oddly Paul and Buddy when they heard the idea thought it sounded feminine. Nyla wants a bright pink room but I would like to tone it down a bit. Perhaps one is tougher on the choices of those of the same gender. I think Bohdin's room perfectly suits him just as a very bright pink room would perfectly suit Nyla. I just wish something a little more toned down would suit her since her bedroom is at the top of the stairs and looking in would be completely unavoidable without closing the door.

4 comments:

anna said...

I think bright pink could look either really cute, or just be too strong. This place has a good idea of splitting it up with white and a lighter pink. Then it doesn't seem as glaring.

http://www.decoratingideakidrooms.com/products/decorating%20ideas/hotpink%20bedroom.jpg

Also, I think purple could be masculine. Have you thought about hanging a prism in his window? That might give a rainbow effect without actually putting rainbows on the wall (if that's what the guys think is girlie).

Helen said...

Nyla liked the pink room you linked to. That's a much better pink than the one she has in mind.

As for Bohdin I don't know what the guys are opposed to. Some of the purple colors do look feminine but he chose a darker one. Since the shapes will be bright colors I don't think that will be girly. His room faces east and has a roof overhang so not much light for a prism. It's a good idea though and I might use that in the bathroom.

Anonymous said...

The guys heard "rainbow", not "rainbow shapes".
Also one of those guys grew up with the Rainbow Bright jokes, so...

Helen said...

I think you're right. I just did a mockup on paint and it doesn't look girly at all. It could be quite cool when done actually. He wants the shapes to be about 18 inches big with bright colors. We'll do like a red rectangle inside a yellow rectangle inside an orange rectangle and with every shape he can think of. I didn't include an octagon in my mockup and he didn't like that.