Monday, March 1, 2010

Hollywood Studios

We left Friday evening just a bit later than I had hoped. Our goal was Atlanta which was almost halfway. We started off great with both the kids falling asleep right away. The only problem with that was it was just before 7pm. We made great time but decided to stop south of Nashville for gas, food, and a potty break. We woke the kids up because we thought it was better to have them awake in the car than in the hotel room at 1am. It was a longer pit stop than we anticipated but we were back on the road eventually. To pass the time Bohdin played an "estimation" game where Buddy and I had to estimate a number. They were completely random numbers. He would say things like "If I have 1400 bottles with moons in them how many moons do I have?". We just guessed any number. I was almost always right and Buddy was mostly wrong. One time we had to reguess. Buddy said a number and I said the same number a second later. Bohdin declared me the winner. Buddy protested loudly. He said that he had guessed that number first and he was the winner. After about a minute of whining Bohdin cut in and said "Daddy can you stop cheating now?". Buddy thought Bohdin was the cheater since I always won but he just sounds like a poor loser.

Maybe one hour Nyla threw up. We stopped and Buddy cleaned her and the seat up. It wasn't much longer before she threw up again. We were still about two hours from Atlanta but we decided to stop. It was getting late and we didn't want any more vomit in the car. It was about midnight when we stopped on the south side of Chattanooga.

I woke up first just after 7 am. I got everything ready because we had to go. We had a nine hour drive ahead of us. We decided to stop at Trader Joes for a snack and potty break. I was hoping for some pumpkin seeds which they ended up not having. We had parked but were still in the car when Bohdin complained that his waist hurt. He says this sometimes when he needs to poop. Seconds later he threw up. Buddy caught a lot of it in a frisbee since he was already unbuckled. Bohdin felt okay after that and we went in to stock up on snacks.
Back on the road again Nyla had to poop numerous times. Or at least she said she did. In total we stopped four times because she said she needed to poop but there was never any poop. It felt like we would never arrive. Finally about 1:30 she fell asleep. It was nice to escape the poop stops. Buddy joked that we were going to stop at every rest stop in Georgia. Bohdin fell asleep when we were about 10 miles away. Traffic was really bad so he had a longer nap than we expected.

I decided to make reservations at Disney World for our first two nights. Disney hotels are quite expensive but our 40% brought it down to an almost reasonable price. We had planned that we would have several hours to look around in the afternoon but we didn't arrive until just before evening. The grounds were beautifully landscaped. Our building was two stories with us on the upper floor. Our room had a river view. The rooms at Disney World are in general quite small and bland. The better to keep you out of your room and spending money. We took the boat to downtown Disney to waste some time and grab a snack. Bohdin was really excited at first but the boat was slow and he became bored. Maybe he would have liked it more if it wasn't dark. I would have enjoyed it more if it wasn't so cold. Nyla enjoyed the Lego store which had lots of Legos outside to play with. Bohdin is not a Lego fan but spent some time looking around. We had soup and a sandwich before returning to our room. We had an early morning ahead of us.



Buddy really wanted to see Fantasmic and Sunday would be the only time they were showing it that he would be able to attend. Even though the crowds were expected to be heavy we braved Hollywood Studios. In addition to being a Fantasmic evening which brought heavier crowds it was also ESPN weekend. I came armed with a detailed itinerary for us. I heard that the key to Disney World is being there when the park opens and having a good plan. We had both. Buddy's schedule worked perfectly. Ninety minutes after the park opened he had already done the top three attractions in the park. Our schedule did not go as well since I didn't take into account that bathrooms would not be open until the park was open. By the time we peed and parked the stroller we had just missed getting into the Little Mermaid. We used that time instead to do some character meets. Nyla was excited to see the ducks (Donald and Daisy). She also met Tigger and Eyore. Bohdin has zero interest in meeting characters and played a computer game they had in the area. We went to Playhouse Disney live on stage next which both kids loved. Bohdin wanted to do it again but we went to Toystory Mania with Buddy. Bohdin had a lot of fun on that and wanted to do it again. We grabbed the last fastpasses of the day as we got off the ride. I feel sorry for the poor suckers who didn't have fastpasses. Once we got in line it moved continuously and took less than 10 minutes. The standby line was 50 minutes long at that point and it only became longer later in the day. Buddy and I split up again. The kids and I did Little Mermaid and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground while Buddy did Star Tours and Muppet Vision 3D. We met up again for Indiana Jones. It was our longest wait of the day since we had to sit in our seats for about 20 minutes prior to the show starting. After the show it was time for our afternoon break. The park was becoming crowded so it was a good time to go. Nyla fell asleep in the car. We decided to get some lunch to take back to the room. Nyla woke up while I was sitting in the parking lot with her. The nap was about half her usual length. We were all starving and had a nice lunch in the hotel room. Buddy and I were tired but managed to get up after laying in bed for a few minutes. We still had our fastpasses to do Toy Story Mania again. I wanted to see Beauty and the Beast and the kids wanted to do Playhouse Disney again. That's exactly what we did at the park. The standby line for ToyStory Mania was 90 minutes I think at that point. Luckily we were able to bypass that. I can't imagine waiting that long. We were lucky to not have to wait in line to see Fantasmic either. We had fine seats but did have to wait a while before the show started. They were selling lots of light up things and Bohdin saw a light up bubble gun that he really wanted. We didn't buy one. The show was okay. Nyla was getting tired so it was time to head back to the hotel. I walked the kids slowly out of the hotel while Buddy did the roller coaster one last time. Bohdin still wanted the bubble gun but again I said no. We waited for Buddy just outside of the park and I succumbed to Bohdin. It's too bad he didn't whine or cry or something because then I would not have bought it for him. Since he was asking so nicely I decided to get it for him. We met up with Buddy at the tram and in his hand was a bubble gun. Nyla would have had a hard time sharing so it worked out well for the kids.



1 comment:

Coree said...

I laughed out loud and my stomach hurt while reading the part about your trip with the vomit and poop stops. I don't know if I should admit that.