Saturday, March 20, 2010

Spring Garden

When Bohdin was three I scored an amazing Playmobil deal on Craigslist. I was tempted to pay more because it was so cheap. Most of it Bohdin played with but we never put the grocery store together. Now that we have the space I finally did it. We're missing a few pieces either because they were always missing or more likely because they have become scattered over time. We found at least three pieces since I completed this. Instead of using it as a grocery store Bohdin decided it would be a treasure store. He spent so much time arranging things on the shelves.



Buddy is going out of town tomorrow and I gave him a deadline for finishing the spring garden by today. We're already behind on most of it and we'll have to wait until next year for onions now. Through a lot of hard work Buddy did manage to finish it. Bohdin enjoyed helping and even Nyla did a little. We finished up early this afternoon. Bohdin put every single seed in the ground. We have two types of peas, three types of carrots, beets, turnips, bok choy, lettuce, and swiss chard. Now we have three weeks to get ready for the berry arrival and another few weeks after that to get ready for the summer crops. I broke Buddy's heart when I told him we would need way more beds to hold the summer crops. He dug the two beds by hand but he'll use machinery for the next batches. I was hoping for prettier beds arranged in a beautiful pattern but beggars can't be choosers. This is the first non rain or snow weekend in as long as I can remember. The time change helped also since Buddy was able to work outside after coming home.



A view from the upstairs bathroom. I was too tired to go back downstairs to take the picture. The chipped wood in the bottom of the picture is an awesome score. There was a company doing limb removal several houses down. I stopped and asked if they would drop it off at our house. So far they have dropped off three loads. We're using it for the paths between the beds. The guy that owns the company lives a few houses down and our current house used to be his aunt's house. Small world.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: