Friday, November 21, 2008

Whatever It Takes

I read the book Whatever It Takes a few weeks ago about the Harlem Children's Zone. I learned about the book after hearing a story on NPR that brought tears to my eyes. If you have 30 minutes you can hear it here: Going Big

The Harlem Children's Zone is operating in a poor area of Harlem and is trying to follow a child from birth to help break the poverty cycle. Even before these children enter kindergarten they are at a disadvantage academically. It's a disadvantage that is difficult to impossible to overcome. One of the features of the program is teaching parenting skills. They don't know that they are supposed to talk to their child and not hit a 2 year old that asks why. It's an interesting read and I recommend it.

I had been discussing an article from the newspaper with Bohdin to just expand his horizons a bit more. I've slacked off here the past couple of days. We've talked about things like living next to a stinky landfill to saving race horses from the meat factory. Sometimes it is hard to find appropriate stories in the paper. In just the past few days there has been a quadruple shooting in town and another armed robbery at the mall.

We went tot he library yesterday to return some books and videos. Bohdin and I ended up with a relapse in our colds. He looked so sick at the library while Nyla was running around. I had horrendous sinus pressure upon returning home. Today we'll stay inside yet again. Buddy is getting sick now. I hope he's better by Thanksgiving. The severity of his illnesses seem to be the worst of the four of us. I hope that isn't true this time.

2 comments:

P said...

I totally disagree on the not hitting a child. I think that you need to discipline a child and spanking is a good way to do that

Anonymous said...

There is such a fine line with the whole hitting thing, and a 2 year old being hit for asking why is way out, and across, the line. A couple of swats on the behind of an uncooperative disobedient child with an open hand is different from being beat with a belt or a fist simply for crying from hunger or because the child soiled its diaper.
It is my opinion the whole welfare system needs revamping...it is just ludicrous for generation after generation, from birth to death, of the same "family" to be on the dole. And having child after child after child should not be rewarded with more and more money, it should be the other way around. Welfare was intended as a TEMPORARY helping hand; i.e. while someone went through schooling or training for a job, etc, etc, but now we have cities full of folks who think they are ENTITLED to sail through life without lifting a finger, and that ticks me off, big time. Not only do some folks think taxpayers ought to pay for their basic food and housing, but think they are ENTITLED to caviar, big screen tv's, computers, air Jordan's, playstations, Lexus's, Rolexes and diamond earrings, too. I've eaten too many mashed bean sandwiches and worn too many Good Will castoffs in my lifetime to be happy about paying into a system so a HAPPILY, WILLFULLY ignorant, LAZY so and so can eat filet mignon and wear Prada.
It is sad, so very sad, to see the children born into a no win situation, but until their parents take RESPONSIBILITY, and care enough about their own children to break the cycle by becoming productive members of society themselves, there is little that can be done, in my opinion.